Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 3, 2012, 7:31 PM   #1

Default D5000 Lens Compatibility.

I was looking for an wide zoom lens, I am interested in the
Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S DX Nikkor Wide-Angle Zoom Lens, I was wondering if any other lens will auto focus. I was curious about this lens,
Tamron AF 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 SP Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Lens , but I figured it would not AF.

Will any non-nikon lens auto focus with this camera?

Thanks!
JAVIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:00 PM   #2
Administrator

The D5000 camera body does not have built in focus motor. So, you'll need to use lenses that do have a built in focus motor if you want Autofocus. But, most newer lenses made for Nikon bodies have a built in motor now.

If you want Autofocus...

In the Nikon lineup, that means you'll need to use AF-S (Silent Wave Motor) lenses.

In the Sigma lineup, that means you'll need to use HSM (Hypersonic Motor) lenses.

In the Tamron lineup, that means you'll need to use lenses that are marked as having a Built In Motor.

The Tamron AF 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 SP DI II LD Aspherical IF Lens is available in a version that has a built in motor for Nikon models.

So. just make sure any Tamron lens you buy shows that it has a built in motor in the listing.

For example, I see that the Product Highlights in this listing at B&H (a very reputable vendor) says that the lens they carry has a "Micro Motor for Auto Focusing (AF)". So, it will Autofocus on a Nikon D5000 (since it uses the motor built into the lens versus relying on a motor in the camera body for Autofocus).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...10_24mm_f.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:05 PM   #3
Administrator

Note that you started this thread in our Add-On Lenses Forum, which is our forum for discussion of add-on lenses for point and shoot camera models.

We have a dedicated Nikon Lenses Forum for discussion about lenses for Nikon dSLR models.

So, I moved this thread to our Nikon Lenses Forum for you.

By the way, Welcome to Steve's, and please let us know how the Tamron 10-24mm works for you if you decide to get one. I've always been impressed with the quality of Tamron's SP (Super Performance) series lenses, but I haven't used the Tamron 10-24mm yet.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:16 PM   #4

Sorry on the mislocation of this post, I just saw lens and went for it...
Anyways, for some reason I was under the impression that you can only use the nikon lens with the d5000 because of the need for the motor within the lens and ofcourse incorrect information from previous sources.
JAVIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:56 PM   #5
Administrator

Third party manufacturers like Sigma and Tamron are also including built in motors in many (but not all) of their lenses now. Most newer Nikon lenses also have built in motors (those will be marked as AF-S).

Just check carefully to make sure any lens you buy does have a motor built in so you'll get Autofocus with the D5000.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:28 AM   #6

Hi, Javia. This tool will let you quickly find lenses across manufacturers that have built-in motors: http://dpanswers.com/roztr/lens_finder.php Just check the appropriate boxes. I think Jim is right about Sigma, but AFAIK wrong about Tamron. My understanding is that all Tamron Nikon lenses now have built-in motors. If you are buying used (or, possibly, old stock) you might find a Tarmon without a built-in motor. But my understanding is that for more than a year all Tamron models have completed the retrofitting for at least the BIM. They have a much rarer new ultrasonic motor that is only avaiable in a few lenses so far, though.

Having said that, I think the Tamron 10-24 is about the only UWA zoom out there that is worth avoiding. It is optically foul, while the worst of the rest (one of the Sigma 10-20s) are still very nice lenses. The UWA that I have is the Tokina 12-24 f/4 DXII, which has a built-in motor and is an absolutely wonderful lens. I'm not sure I would obsess about a focusing motor with a UWA, however. UWAs have such deep DOF that a trained monkey could focus them. I often just use the distance scale on my Tokina to "focus", and don't even bother with the autofocusing. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote