Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:11 AM   #1

Default Too much choice! Help on lens for northern lights and more!

Hi there, I've owned a D5000 for just over a year now but am still a novice, and have the 18-55 and 55-200 kit lenses as well as a sigma 10-20 f4-5.6. I bought this kit last year because I storm chase every year in the plains, it's done me okay and the wide angle is great for capturing whole storms and landscapes, but I'm off to shoot the northern lights in a few weeks and I's like to replace the 18-55 with something quicker. The missus picked up a 50mm 1.8 non AF-S cheap so I do have that.

I've read and searched this forum loads over the past day and I've got it down to 2 I think! The Tamron 17-50/2.8 and the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4. I like the idea of the extra reach on the sigma purely for when I go back storm chasing but I've read such good reviews on the Tamron. I just wondered if anyone had any experience using these lenses for night time photography? Or could you recommend any in that kind of range that would be great for dusk/night time shots as I'll be using it to go chasing again this year. I might as well throw the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 in to the mix too! I'm thinking of swapping my wide angle too as the F4 sometimes just doesn't cut it, is the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 a much better replacement?

I look forward to any input

Arron
Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:25 PM   #2

The unstabilized Tamron 17-50/2.8 is excellent; the stabilized Tamron 17-50/2.8 is not so hot. If you're talking about the stabilized version, I'd go with the Sigma 17-70.

If you're thinking of just replacing your Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, perhaps a good choice would be the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5.

I love photos of the Northern Lights. I saw one taken with a fisheye lens recently, and it occurred to me that it's the only truly practical use for a fisheye lens. But you do have to be pretty far north for it to work well.

BTW, use a tripod.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 1:51 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I'll be using a decent tripod with the northern lights but when I'm out storm chasing that won't be the case all the time. I assume because of this it might be better to go with the sigma 17-70 and have stabilisation?

I'll be right at the northern tip of Sweden in 3 weeks time and can't wait!

Thanks
Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokes View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'll be using a decent tripod with the northern lights but when I'm out storm chasing that won't be the case all the time. I assume because of this it might be better to go with the sigma 17-70 and have stabilisation?
Actually, if you think you'll need stabilization, I think I'd go with stabilized Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8. EX DC OS HSM. It's a chioce between the constant aperture versus the longer zoom range of the 17-70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokes View Post
I'll be right at the northern tip of Sweden in 3 weeks time and can't wait!
Brrrr

Have fun.

Wear your mittens.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote