Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:01 PM   #1

Default Will Manual Nikkor lense work O.K on the D7000

I am going to hopefully buy the Nikon D7000 here as soon as we get our income tax return, my question is I have had 3 manual lenses that I bought about 8 years ago and was wanting to know if these would work O.K. on the 7000---#1. Nikkor 28mm 1:2.8 AI-s lense, #2. 50mm 1:1.8 AI-s lense, and the 100mm 1:2.8 AI-s Series E lense, also have a 70-210mm 1:4-5.6 Nikkor AF non D lense. I bought these at one time for my Nikon N8008s and never used my manual lenses at all and they are still in excellent condition. I was only considering using these on the D7000 so as not to have to buy any lenses until I had a chance to get used to shooting with the camera itself and thus giving me some extra cash for a good Nikon Flash unit to go on the camera. What do you all think?, my budget will probably be in the 2000.00 range, if these lenses are not good to start out with what would be a good one to start with. I even thought that the Nikon 18-55 VR kit lense may be a good lense to start with. Thanks again.

I am going to hopefully buy the Nikon D7000 here as soon as we get our income tax return, my question is I have had 3 manual lenses that I bought about 8 years ago and was wanting to know if these would work O.K. on the 7000---#1. Nikkor 28mm 1:2.8 AI-s lense, #2. 50mm 1:1.8 AI-s lense, and the 100mm 1:2.8 AI-s Series E lense, also have a 70-210mm 1:4-5.6 Nikkor AF non D lense. I bought these at one time for my Nikon N8008s and never used my manual lenses at all and they are still in excellent condition. I was only considering using these on the D7000 so as not to have to buy any lenses until I had a chance to get used to shooting with the camera itself and thus giving me some extra cash for a good Nikon Flash unit to go on the camera. What do you all think?, my budget will probably be in the 2000.00 range, if these lenses are not good to start out with what would be a good one to start with. I even thought that the Nikon 18-55 VR kit lense may be a good lense to start with. Thanks again.

Wildlifephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:10 PM   #2

Here is the link and they are not on the list of what will NOT work.

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answ...cVpUejI0UGs%3D

It appears that AI- and Series E will work, but with the limitations they were designed for. Obviously, no auto fucus, but camera had to be on full Manual mode where you manually set aperture and shutter speed. Also, iTTL will not work.

EDIT NOTE:
One thing I forgot. As noted above, generally, if a lens was not designed for auto focus or exposure, it does not gain those features by putting on an advanced body. Worse, the advanced bodies of today did away with features that directly supported manual lens. Missing are the split focusing ring and matchneedle or similar exposure guide. Manual focusing now is generally a light in the lower info bar, and exposure is basically a guess and adjusting the apertue/shutter combo as not awate of any physical guide, other than perhaps a handheld reading.

Bottom line...Those lens are probably OK for special uses (and great for video), but everyday use...use a modern lens designed for a digital sensor.

Last edited by tizeye; Jan 26, 2012 at 7:16 AM.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
Here is the link and they are not on the list of what will NOT work.

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answ...cVpUejI0UGs%3D

It appears that AI- and Series E will work, but with the limitations they were designed for. Obviously, no auto fucus, but camera had to be on full Manual mode where you manually set aperture and shutter speed. Also, iTTL will not work.

EDIT NOTE:
One thing I forgot. As noted above, generally, if a lens was not designed for auto focus or exposure, it does not gain those features by putting on an advanced body. Worse, the advanced bodies of today did away with features that directly supported manual lens. Missing are the split focusing ring and matchneedle or similar exposure guide. Manual focusing now is generally a light in the lower info bar, and exposure is basically a guess and adjusting the apertue/shutter combo as not awate of any physical guide, other than perhaps a handheld reading.

Bottom line...Those lens are probably OK for special uses (and great for video), but everyday use...use a modern lens designed for a digital sensor.
THANKS, Since I will be on a budget of around 2,000.00 spending what up to date lens or lenses would you suggest? Also what would your suggestion be on a good flash for this camera. I have read on Ken Rockwells site that the 18-55mm VR was a very good lense for the price, also he mentioned that the 35mm f/1.8 and the 50mm f/1.8 were excellent quality lenses for the cheap price they are. I was also thinking about the 18-105 that the D7000 comes with but I've read that the quality is not as good as the 18-55. I like to mainly shoot landscape and sometimes get to where if I see some critters on rock formation to shoot them, and of course family and friend photo's. Would love to get a macro eventually but would like to get very acquainted with the D7000 in and out before jumping into to much deep water. I can be very patient in this area as long as the final outcome is arrived. Thanks.
Wildlifephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:03 PM   #4

Yes, Ken Rockwell did give a positive review of the 18-55 (and rightfully so) on the D40. The problem is, putting it on the newer D7000 with a more advanced and refined sensor shows the weaknesses of the 18-55 (and my 55-200). While I have the D90 instead of the D7000, I use the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non-vc which might beone consideration.

Other considerations - and each lens has it's compromises. Suggest shooting in NEF (RAW) and lens correction in Lightroom resolves most.

From uses you described - landscapes and general with friends, it loks like a tele zoom is not an imediate requirement.
D7000 with the kit 18-105 is probably best general lens and would leave room for an ultrawide for landscapes, like the Sigma10-20 and a flash.

Another possibility, a step up from the 18-105 would be the Nikon 16-85 and flash. Wouldn't have the budget for the ultrawideangel, but for general landscape, the 16mm should be sufficient.

For macro, inexpensive extension tubes and those older Nikon lenses you already have

My Tamron 17-50 is a very nice fixed 2.8 lens, but doesn't have the range you might want and necessitate a telephoto.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote