Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:05 AM   #1

Default Nikon 18-200mm shot.

I live in Hertfordshire England 22 miles north of London.So not exactly the backwoods but still rural.
I got up went down to breakfast and saw this on my lawn, so I rushed upstairs grabbed my D5000 18-200mm combo and shot this through my double glazed patio window.
The bird spotted me and flew off with its prey, it is a Sparrow Hawk and it's victim is a Collared Dove.
I've never seen anything like it before .
It was taken at 1/50th F5.6 at 200mm in P mode, through a double glazed plate glass patio window on a dull day.
All I have done to this, is I have cropped it slightly other wise it's straight out of the camera.
Considering this lens is reputed to be weak at it's widest aperture and at 200mm,(not IMHO)
I think it came out well.
As a matter of interest this image is only 900p wide due to cropping,which must mean this image is at 100% as I didn't have to resize before posting.
I wish I had the D5100 but that would mean a divorce :-)
Attached Images

Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod

Last edited by deadshot; Jan 28, 2012 at 6:36 AM.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:11 AM   #2

Here it is again for your interest, slightly sharpened thats all.
After looking at this on here, it seems that by just sharpening slightly I have somehow made the image look colder, or is it my pc ?
Attached Images

Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod

Last edited by deadshot; Jan 26, 2012 at 8:36 AM. Reason: noticed a change in image.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:18 AM   #3

Here is the original but when I resize I aim for 1024p and 250 kb. but after the upload it comes out at 140 kb.??
What I'm not sure about is why these images look a lot sharper on my PC.in my My Pictures or PSE folder then lose quality after I upload.
I set the quality in my resize image to between 70 and 100. and the image size to 1024 p on the long side but still the quality drops after uploading so I must be doing something wrong.
Attached Images

Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:30 AM   #4

Given the circumstances under which this image was captured, I'd be satisfied
with the results. Shooting through a double paned glass window can be a hit or miss affair as glare and reflection-not to mention dirt on the glass all degrade the final image.

The birds eyes and head are in focus which adds greatly to the overall image and draws the viewers eyes to those features. The feather detail isn't perfect but, under the circumstances quite acceptable IMHO.

I've not owned nor used an 18-200mm vr lens so can't comment on the image quality and sharpness of the lens. But seeing your capture here makes me think it isn't too bad at all.

Congrats on being able to capture the moment.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:38 AM   #5

Regarding your question relative to the loss of quality when uploading to this site. There is an explanation in another section of this site as to how best to upload images as I believe, if the photo file is too large, the site will automatically downsize the image. It might be what is happening here.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...ur-photos.html

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2012, 7:42 AM   #6

Thanks zig123,
The main reason for having this lens was I was getting fed up missing shots by having the wrong lens on and fumbling about changing over thereby missing the shot.(I love grab shots)
With this one it was a quick dash upstairs two at a time grab my camera rush back down and click, I didn't manage to change anything. Even then the bird spotted me standing well back in my room away from the window and flew off, so if I'd had my previous old Canon set up ten to one I would have had my 28mm on.You can see that even 200mm wasn't quite enough
if I was buying again I would look at(not nescessarilly get) the Tamron 18-270 but it wasn't out when I bought the Nikon 18-200mm.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
Old Feb 14, 2012, 6:41 PM   #7

I too think it turned out well. It can be tough shooting through a window, let alone two panels of glass. Heck, it was fortunate you had the camera/lens combo within reach and were able to catch the moment. Well done !
Logo10heli is offline   Reply With Quote