Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 29, 2012, 8:26 PM   #1

Default D5000 and Disney

Hi! I am going to Disney World with my family - 2 year old in tow. I have no clue what type of lense I am going to need, but I know I need something better than what I have. I have AF-S Nikkor 55-200 1:4-5.6g, 35mm 1:1.8 and then the standard lense that came with the camera. My zoom lense is prob my favorite.

I take lots of pictures of my child, so I want something that will zoom and focus well and takes fast, sharp photos. I can't spend tons of money either. What to buy?
jfphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:10 AM   #2

I would say the Nikon 16-85 or the Sigma 17-70 would be your best bet for most of what you want to do.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:44 AM   #3

My Nikkor 16-85mm is my main walk around lens when I'm playing tourist.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 1:47 PM   #4

Thanks for your response. What is the difference between the one you have and the 18-55...which is the one I call the "standard" lense that came with the camera. The 18-55 doesn't zoom in enough for me, will yours zoom in closer?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 1:52 PM   #5

Also, the zoom lense I have, the 55-200, sometimes is blurs the subject a little...not sure what I would be doing to cause that. I know camera shake can cause it, but it seems more and more what looks like a good pic on my display is blurry when I enlarge it on my computer...
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfphotos View Post
Thanks for your response. What is the difference between the one you have and the 18-55...which is the one I call the "standard" lense that came with the camera. The 18-55 doesn't zoom in enough for me, will yours zoom in closer?
The 16-85mm goes wider by about 5 degrees than the 18-55mm. At the telephoto end it is marginally better than the 18-55mm but I rarely need more when playing tourist. I find I need the extra width more often than the telephoto.

If I need more telephoto I have a 70-300mm and a 150-500mm but I rerely carry them on tourist treks, only on field trips where I know I'll need the reach as they are quite heavy.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfphotos View Post
Also, the zoom lense I have, the 55-200, sometimes is blurs the subject a little...not sure what I would be doing to cause that. I know camera shake can cause it, but it seems more and more what looks like a good pic on my display is blurry when I enlarge it on my computer...
Most shots look good on the LCD monitor as it's such a small image!

If you get blurred results when shooting your 55-200mm with a tripod or with the lens/camera braced on a solid support then you could have a defective lens. You most likely have a camera shake problem however, try shooting with a shutter speed of 1/250s or faster and/or bracing the camera/lens on a solid support such as a tripod or monopod.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:02 PM   #8

Can you post some examples ot the shots you're getting with the 55-200 that you're not satisfied with?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:10 PM   #9

Yes, I will post some photos...
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I would say the Nikon 16-85 or the Sigma 17-70 would be your best bet for most of what you want to do.

A couple other people told me about the 17-70, but do you have any trouble with the automatic focus? Some reviews say that can be troublesome...