Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 1, 2012, 7:12 PM   #1

Default D7000+70-200mm+2XA telecon

Some photographs taken at the Venice Rookery, Venice Florida yesterday and this morning;
By the way, D7000 was mounted to a Manfrotto 393 gimbal head/Carbon Fibre tripod
the following were taken with a 2XA teleconverter:

taken with 70-200mm + TC14E teleconverter:

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:35 PM   #2

I got the same setup zig with the exception of the telecoverter. I have got the 1.4 and 1.7 but was holding off on the 2X. Curious to what distance you were from the subjects and the amount if any crop done. Whats your opinion on the focus speed with this combo with BIF
emptyquiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 7:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyquiver View Post
I got the same setup zig with the exception of the telecoverter. I have got the 1.4 and 1.7 but was holding off on the 2X. Curious to what distance you were from the subjects and the amount if any crop done. Whats your opinion on the focus speed with this combo with BIF
Hi,

Yes, I did do a bit of cropping. But, the subjects are pretty much the same size as in the original frame. What I did was crop out the unwanted segments of the scene-(left and right).

As to distance, the subjects in the rookery were about 75ft away. The White Heron on the branch was about 30ft. While the Great Blue Heron in flight was also about 25-30ft away.

I found no issues with AF using the 2X. Which was surprising to me as I was expecting it to hunt. If you have the 1.4, then you know that the 1.4 matches up very well with the 70-200mm. I just bought the 2X prior to going on this trip.
So, this is a maiden voyage so to speak. And, so far, I'm satisfied with the IQ and performance.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 7:35 AM   #4

Zig - very nice results with a 2x TC. Still great amount of detail. Nicely done!!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Zig - very nice results with a 2x TC. Still great amount of detail. Nicely done!!
Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

As for detail, I'm really beginning to believe that a good tripod and remote shutter release really has a lot to do with mitigating shake and the resultant blur. I made a point of disabling the Vr on the lens as well.

When we arrived at the rookery, there were approx. 35 photographers. The serious guys all had FF Nikons or Canons with 600mm lenses mounted on tripods using wireless remote shutter switches. It drove home the point.

This morning, my plan is to use a monopod with the same lens+TC combo. Reason being, I'll be walking in a lagoon making the tripod a bit difficult to use.
It will be interesting to compare the results.

Zig

Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:37 AM   #6

Zig - I agree with your assessment. Anti-shake is no substitute for a good tripod. I think it has as much to do with process as with steadiness. The tripod forces a bit better planning and enables more patience. And, let's not forget, you're not having to hold that gear for 45 minutes while you're waiting for your shot.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:36 AM   #7

Hi Zig,

I'll add my thumbs up to the others. That's really imperssive for a 2x converter.

I'll agree also with the tripod comments. There is no substitute. I don't do any remote release, but that would go another step toward eliminating camera movement.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2012, 4:32 PM   #8

Nice sharp shots, no. 3 my favorite, in flight with nice sharp eyes.
Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:44 PM   #9

Beautiful photos.
flutelady is offline   Reply With Quote