Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:55 PM   #1

Default Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 Test - Large Pictures

I bought a Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 and today I shoot some pictures to test the sharpness of this lens.

The pictures looks sharp but I was expecting something better or maybe I am asking too much of this lens... what do you think of it?

I did shoot in RAW and adjusted WB and contrast after converted to JPGE a little of sharpening with PS CS 5.

I am posting the original picture and the 100% crop.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Marcelo.

MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2012, 7:35 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Marcello,

Sharpness looks good. I opted fo the 24-70 f2.8 instead of the 17-55 f2.8 since I plan to add a FX body in the future..perhaps the D800. .

Just some additional feedback: I see noise/grain in the sky....

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 7:46 AM   #3

Hi Marcelo,

Since you didn't mention the use of a tripod, I'm guessing that you hand held the camera to take the shots. With that in mind, I would say that they are what I would expect. given that some of the exposures were taken at a long shutter speed. i.e. the last shot at 2seconds.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:04 AM   #4

Those are all very nice shots, but they were all taken at f/7.1-f/11. You'd be hard pressed to find a lens that didn't perform well at those apertures.

Where that lens shines, and some of your shots bear this out, is the accuracy of the D7000's autofocus system when using a lens with such a large aperture.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 7:04 PM   #5

Default Thank you guys..!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
Marcello,

Sharpness looks good. I opted fo the 24-70 f2.8 instead of the 17-55 f2.8 since I plan to add a FX body in the future..perhaps the D800. .

Just some additional feedback: I see noise/grain in the sky....

Jehan
Thank you Jehan for the feedback, the grain maybe because it is more noticeable on the 100% crop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Marcelo,

Since you didn't mention the use of a tripod, I'm guessing that you hand held the camera to take the shots. With that in mind, I would say that they are what I would expect. given that some of the exposures were taken at a long shutter speed. i.e. the last shot at 2seconds.

Zig
Hi Zig, sorry I didn't mention about the tripod and of course I did use it.

Thank you for your commentary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Those are all very nice shots, but they were all taken at f/7.1-f/11. You'd be hard pressed to find a lens that didn't perform well at those apertures.

Where that lens shines, and some of your shots bear this out, is the accuracy of the D7000's autofocus system when using a lens with such a large aperture.
I agree with your statement, the majority of lens are sharp at f/7-f/9. I will find some subjects to shoot this weekend at f/2.8.

Have a great week everyone.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote