Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:39 PM   #1

Default Best lens for video record on Nikon D5100?

Is need me to buy some cheep lens for video record on my Nikon D5100?

What is the best lens for use it for video i like to make some music cover on my friends?

I have lens kit Nikon 18-55mm VR and 55-200mm VR

Thanks for answer
Old Jun 14, 2012, 3:50 AM   #2

I'd say that, for video, you'll probably want a larger zoom range than either of your current lenses are capable of. Both the Nikon 18-105 and the Sigma 18-125 are stabilized, quiet, have a zoom range better suited for what you want to do, are are not very expensive. Neither of them is very good for shooting still images, but their flaws are not likely to show up in video, which has a very limited resolution. The only exception is that they both vignette quite a bit at apertures larger than f/8, so you'll probably need to watch that.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:51 PM   #3

My friend photographer is tell me that if i use static lens i got better video quality?

Is tell me to use this lens:
NIKKOR AF-S 50mm F/1.8G

Do u i get better video quality with this lens or with my lens kit Nikon 18-55mm VR and 55-200mm VR??

Thanks
Old Jun 20, 2012, 2:19 AM   #4

Video is recorded at a much lower resolution that still images, so the quality of the lens is less important. What matters is whether or not you can get the shots you want. A zoom lens will do a better job at that than a prime. If you use the 18-55 and the 55-200 for that, I think that the 55mm range will come up often, so you'll either have to change lenses often, or you'll have to do without some shots.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 3:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindHunter View Post
My friend photographer is tell me that if i use static lens i got better video quality?

Is tell me to use this lens:
NIKKOR AF-S 50mm F/1.8G
Presumably, if you want to record video, your subject will be moving.

Composing when using a prime (fixed focal length) lens involves, among other things, position yourself so as to apply the angle of view of the lens to its best advantage for a pleasing composition.

If the subject is moving, when you use a prime lens, you'll need to move as well. If you move while recording video, you'll create jumpy video that is not pleasant to watch.

I'd say that a zoom lens will record much more plesant video than a prime lens, and any difference in optical quality will be lost on the low resolution of video.