Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 17, 2012, 9:32 AM   #11

TCAV, thank you for all the information! It sure helps a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard0003 View Post
Are you wanting Auto Focus or Manual Focus, Prime or Zoom...? There are some very nice used Manual
Focus Macro lenses both Prime and Zoom at KEH for very good prices...

Edit:
Also, KEH has a 6 month fix or replace warranty on all their used gear and they have a 14 day No-Hassle
return policy so you can try it for two weeks and if you don't like the lens you can return it...
I am not entirely sure what I am looking for yet! I just started with my N70, I have had a canon powershot for a long time so all this is new. Any suggestions on that would be great. And I will look into KEH, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Allisa:

Just to clarify, do you have a Nikon N70 (a.k.a., F70), as stated in your first post to this thread?.
Yes I have a Nikon N70. And yeah I read about vignetting yesterday morning. I read that you should get larger apertures yesterday morning also, but wasn't entirely sure so thank you to you, and everyone else, for solidifying that I should look at larger ones!

Quote:
I assumed this was a Film SLR which is one of the reasons I suggested an older
Manual Focus lens... I realize it also has Auto Focus but with her budget of $200
she could probably afford two or even three really decent older Manual Focus
lenses and be able to cover more kinds of shooting...
Thank you! That would be great

And thank you Photomiser, that photography is beautiful!

And for anyone: What about a Nikon AF Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f / 4.5-5.6 G Lens?
alissac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alissac88 View Post
... I read about vignetting yesterday morning. I read that you should get larger apertures yesterday morning also ...
Well, that's kind of apples and oranges.

There are cameras that use smaller digital image sensors than a 35mm film exposure, and there are lenses that are specifically designed to project a smaller image onto those smaller sensors. In Nikon's parlance, they're identified as 'DX' lenses, but Sigma calls them 'DC' and Tamron calles them 'Di II'. If they're used on a film SLR or a 'Full Frame' dSLR, they still project a smaller image that doesn't fill the sensor (or film.) As a result, the border of the image has significant vignetting. This vignetting can't be adjusted.

Apertures, however, are adjustable (through a limited range) and govern how much light passes through the lens to the sensor. Because a larger aperture lets in more light, you can use a faster shutter speed (or, with digital cameras, a lower ISO setting.) Also, larger apertures allow autofocus systems to be more precise and accurate. But they also affect the Depth of Field, sometimes in a good way, and sometimes in a bad way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alissac88 View Post
What about a Nikon AF Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f / 4.5-5.6 G Lens?

If that's the VR lens, that's a nice lens, but it's only got a magnification ratio of 1:4, so it might not be best for your plants and bugs. Also, it's beyond your budget, unless you've made some adjustments to that. Have you?
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post

If that's the VR lens, that's a nice lens, but it's only got a magnification ratio of 1:4, so it might not be best for your plants and bugs. Also, it's beyond your budget, unless you've made some adjustments to that. Have you?
I actually found a set that has all that follows for about $140
"NEW Nikon AF Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 G
Nikon Lens Hood
Lens Cleaning Kit
Cap Kipper
Set of 3 High Resolution Filters (uv , Polarizer , FLD )"

But I think, after looking at KEH a bit, I've found better ones for what I want to do. Should I be looking at fixed focal length lenses or not?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:22 AM   #14

Nobody makes a zoom lens that's also a macro lens. There are some that are close, as in 1:3 or so, but none cross the 1:2 threshold. If you really want to shoot macro, you need a macro lens, but if you're looking for a general purpose lens that can do "macro", then you might find what you're looking for in a zoom.

So, let's get specific. What lenses do you already have, what do you want to shoot, and how much do you have to spend?

Last edited by TCav; Jun 17, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 6:20 PM   #15

Okay, right now I have the lens that came with the N70 which is an AF NIKKOR 55mm 1:1.8 lens. But I also have a filter: MARUMI 52mm UV. I absolutely love to take pictures of flowers, plants, and bugs. But, I do try to take pictures of more. I have a simple online portfolio: cullenphotos.weebly.com. Those are all taken with my canon powershot digital camera (I haven't scanned and uploaded any of my film pictures yet). Looking at that will give you a good idea at what I prefer to take pictures of. And for my budget, if I had to pick a very top limit it would be $300. But.. I am only 17. So, the lower the cost for a good lens the better . But I would like to get a pretty decent lens that will get me through college. Thank you very much for being willing to help me so much!

Last edited by alissac88; Jun 17, 2012 at 6:30 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 7:05 PM   #16

Very nice work, Alissa...!

Now, are you looking for only Auto Focus or is Manual Focus OK as well...?

Also, Are you looking for a single all-around general purpose zoom lens with
macro (ish) capability or do you want a dedicated macro...? With a dedicated
macro you can shoot other kinds of photo's too but it will be a fixed length
(Prime) lens so you won't be able to zoom...

D7k with old/new glass and a few other things...

Last edited by Wizzard0003; Jun 17, 2012 at 7:18 PM.
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 9:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Very nice work, Alissa...!

Now, are you looking for only Auto Focus or is Manual Focus OK as well...?

Also, Are you looking for a single all-around general purpose zoom lens with
macro (ish) capability or do you want a dedicated macro...? With a dedicated
macro you can shoot other kinds of photo's too but it will be a fixed length
(Prime) lens so you won't be able to zoom...
Thank you!
And while I do really love the auto focus I have right now, I don't think I would have a problem with manual, especially if it can save me money.

I feel like at the moment, I should not get a dedicated macro lens. My powershot can't zoom for its life, the pictures just turn out horrible. And the lens I have on my Nikon right now has no zoom. So, I've been leaning more and more towards a zoom lens with macro capability.. but I would prefer macro to still be a large part of my photography.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 9:13 PM   #18

Adorama has a used Nikon 28-105/3.5-4.5 for $184 that has a 1:2 macro setting. I think this is the best option for you that you're going to find.

KEH also has a couple of general purpose lenses in your price range. There's the Sigma 28-70/2.8 EX DG for $265 or the Tokina 28-70/2.8 ATX for $275. They're both reasonably good, large aperture zoom lenses, but neither is what I would call a "macro" lens.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Adorama has a used Nikon 28-105/3.5-4.5 for $184 that has a 1:2 macro setting. I think this is the best option for you that you're going to find.
Yes, I'd agree 100% on this lens... The 1:2.74 reproduction ratio isn't bad at
all and the price is good...

Later, Alissa, you could add a longer zoom if you think you need it but for
a start this would be a decent walk-around lens...

D7k with old/new glass and a few other things...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Yes, I'd agree 100% on this lens... The 1:2.74 reproduction ratio isn't bad at
all and the price is good...

Later, Alissa, you could add a longer zoom if you think you need it but for
a start this would be a decent walk-around lens...
Thank you both very much! You have helped a lot and, hopefully, by the end of the summer I will have either this lens or another/more!