Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:29 PM   #11

Congratulations for your new lens..!! those pictures are very sharp.

The 300mm f/4 is a very sharp lens, I have the AF version and it is very fast and in combination with the 1.7 TC you have 510mm.

I shoot some Ospreys last month with this combination in Shelter Island - NY

You will have a lot of fun shooting with it.

Regards.

Marcelo

Last edited by MarceloLI; Sep 10, 2012 at 2:17 PM.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 4:52 PM   #12

Hey Zig

Looks like you and Mareclo are taking some stunning pics with the Nikkors..sharp as a tack !!

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 5:24 PM   #13

Hi Marcelo/Harj,

Thank you very much for taking the time to look and to comment.

Marcelo,
I have the older version of this lens which cannot be used with the TC-14E or the TC-17E. I should have researched it but, that slipped thru the cracks.
However, it doesn't mean that the lens is not a dandy. I really love the overall
performance.
I also see that you are enjoying yours as well.

Harj,

Good to hear from you. I do keep an eye on the goings on in the Oly forum but am reluctant to chime in. I do miss seeing your fashion shoots.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 7:54 AM   #14

Hi, Zig...

I know this is an older thread but I believe the Kenko Teleplus PRO 300 AF DGX models will work just fine... I've
seen many others using them on other forums with both the older and newer Nikon 300mm F4... The Kenko's will
usualy work with most brands/models and will work with screw-drive, built-in-motor, chipped and non-chipped
Manual focus lenses...

I would stick with the 1.4x myself though unless you're using an f2.8 lens or plan to manual focus only...

See here:
http://www.kenkoglobal.com/TP-PRO300AF-DGX1_4-2X.html

Also, another good read:
http://www.digiscoped.com/teleconverters.html

Hope that's helpful somehow...

PS:
Excellent shots...!

D7k with old/new glass and a few other things...

Last edited by Wizzard0003; Nov 11, 2012 at 7:59 AM.
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:35 AM   #15

Hi,

Thanks for the information on the Kenko telecon. However, I did pick up a 300mm f4 AF-S version which allows me the ability to use a TC-14E telecon.

I ended up paying double for this lens as opposed to the older version. But, I felt it was worth the difference. And, the results I get with it simply reinforces my belief.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the information on the Kenko telecon. However, I did pick up a 300mm f4 AF-S version which allows me the ability to use a TC-14E telecon.

I ended up paying double for this lens as opposed to the older version. But, I felt it was worth the difference. And, the results I get with it simply reinforces my belief.

Zig
Yes, I'd agree, the older lens is very good but the AF-S version is a better
lens in several ways...

Congrat's...!

D7k with old/new glass and a few other things...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 8:43 PM   #17

Glad I ran across this thread. I've been looking at the 300 f/4 ED IS as it's about 1/2 the price of the AF-S version.

In what ways do you owners feel the AF-S version is worth the difference over the older version ?

Also, there is considerable money to be saved with the Imported versions of the TC and AF-S 400 f/4 lens. What are the risks with the imported versions ?

Last edited by Logo10heli; Dec 24, 2012 at 8:53 PM. Reason: add imported vs. USA
Logo10heli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 9:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logo10heli View Post
Glad I ran across this thread. I've been looking at the 300 f/4 ED IS as it's about 1/2 the price of the AF-S version.

In what ways do you owners feel the AF-S version is worth the difference over the older version ?

Also, there is considerable money to be saved with the Imported versions of the TC and AF-S 400 f/4 lens. What are the risks with the imported versions ?

Hi,

Since the time of this post (September), I've had a chance to use both the 300mm f4 AF version and the 300mm f4 AFS version quite a bit more. Using either lens without any teleconverter and you'll see almost no difference in image quality. The older AF version has a focus limiter button which Is nice to have because in less than ideal light, both versions will hunt some,. The AFS version does not have that button.
The AFS version can focus a little closer 5ft vs 8ft minimum distance. The AFS version is a little quieter.

I've not used the older AF version with a teleconverter of any manufacturer that allowed auto focus. Had I known abut the Kenko Pro 300 1.4x converter, I would have bought it and saved myself from buying the 300mm f4 AFS version.

At the end of the day, each version is extremely sharp. Since I own the AFS version and also have both the TC20E & the TC14E, I tend to use this combination pretty much exclusively while the 300mm AF version sits on the shelf.By no means is the AF version a slouch though, If image quality is what you're looking for from a price vs performance perspective, it can't be beat.

By the way, your reference to the lens describes it as being a 300mm AF ED IS This is incorrect- it is a 300mm f4 AF ED IF or internal focusing. The IS designation might lead some people to think that it has image stabilization-it does not.

Zig

Last edited by zig-123; Dec 24, 2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 7:35 PM   #19

I had the chance to use the 300mm f/4 + TC-17E with the D600 last Monday and very impressed of the AF speed of this combo.

Some of the pictures are heavy crops:

Have a great day everyone.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:27 AM   #20

Thank you Zig for your clarifications and recommendations.

Very nice shots Marcelo. Good to hear about your positive results with the AF-S 300 f/4 and the 1.7 TC.

I've decided to rent the AF-S 300 f/4 , 1.4 and 1.7 teleconverters for a week and compare to my Sigma 50-500 OS. I hope the weather cooperates !
Logo10heli is offline   Reply With Quote