Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 13, 2012, 9:24 AM   #1

Default Nikkor AF300mm f4 ED-IF lens

I recently decided to purchase a prime 300mm f4 lens. But, given the amount of usage I knew I would give it, did not want to spring for the latest version which can be had on the used market for about $1000.

So, instead decided to take a chance on an older version AF300mm f4 lens with IF-ED which I ended up purchasing at KEH.com for about $459.00.

In a nutshell, I'm not disappointed. While the AF is no barn burner, the clarity of this lens is pretty darned good.

Here is an example of what I mean:

Water Lily at normal magnification:

Same image but at 100% crop:

If you take a good look at the magnified image, you can clearly see a tick on one of the upper petals. BTW, no sharpening or post processing done.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:09 AM   #2

Hey Zig

Nice shot. I had an old Manual Focus Nikon 300mm AI-S f4.5 for a little while and it was an excellent lens, I only sold it because the Tair 3 is slightly better. That said I kinda miss it as it was actually use-able hand held where as the Tair is really a tripod only lens.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Nikon 300mm prime imho, congrats on the purchase!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcewan View Post
Hey Zig

I don't think you can go wrong with a Nikon 300mm prime imho, congrats on the purchase!
Hi Andrew,

Yes, you're right, it is hard to beat this older version 300mm prime for clarity and sharpness. While the auto focus is not as fast as the AFS 70-200mm VR, it does a credible job. I went out last night and fooled with it a bit more. A couple of seagull images:

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 8:32 AM   #4

Zig, I believe you will have a lot of fun using that lens, these images are a fine beginning.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 5:10 PM   #5

Hi Zig,

Those are great shots with the 300F4. You got yourself a very good deal from KEH. I was using the the 70-200VRII + TC-14II to achieve the 300mm reach these days. I was wondering if there's any IQ difference between the two?
D800E/MB-D12 D7000/MB-D11 | 18-200 VRII | 35 1.8G | 85 1.8D | 70-200 VRII | 105 2.8G VR | 24-120 4VR | 300 4AF-S | TC-14EII | SB-700 | Sigma 150 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Sigma 150-500 | Tokina 11-16 2.8 | Rokinon 85 1.4
jacobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2012, 7:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Zig, I believe you will have a lot of fun using that lens, these images are a fine beginning.
Thanks Bob.

It is just an old style war horse of a lens. All metal, built like a brick-you know what.

It is an extremely sharp lens and I'm happy to have it.

Old Aug 18, 2012, 7:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobt View Post
Hi Zig,

Those are great shots with the 300F4. You got yourself a very good deal from KEH. I was using the the 70-200VRII + TC-14II to achieve the 300mm reach these days. I was wondering if there's any IQ difference between the two?
I've got the older 70-200mm f2.8 VR version and use it with the TC-14E. I can't notice much, if any, image quality difference.

The reason I bought it was to add a 2x converter and thus have a poor man's 600mm lens. I found out AFTER I bought the lens that it is only compatible with a manual TC-200 teleconverter. Effectively turning this into a manual focus lens. Not the world's biggest issue. But one that I didn't expect.

I've got to try taking some more images with that combo and post a few

Zig

Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:42 AM   #8

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Sharpness and IQ look really good Zig. Looks like you have already mastered the lens!

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 8:30 AM   #9
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
The reason I bought it was to add a 2x converter and thus have a poor man's 600mm lens. I found out AFTER I bought the lens that it is only compatible with a manual TC-200 teleconverter. Effectively turning this into a manual focus lens. Not the world's biggest issue. But one that I didn't expect.
Zig

That's why they have the 1.7xTC, the combo is still below f/8 so the autofocus might still work depending on the camera
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL View Post
Zig

That's why they have the 1.7xTC, the combo is still below f/8 so the autofocus might still work depending on the camera
Unfortunately, the AF 300mm f4 is the older version which is not compatible with any of the TC series teleconverters that Nikon manufactures. To utilize the TC-17 telecon, it would have to be the AF-s version or later.