Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 28, 2012, 2:05 PM   #1

Default Need advice for replacing or repair

Greetings all,

First of all, I want to preface that I'm an amateur and definitely not expertly familiar with the makings and workings of the camera.

My friend loaned me a D100 (extended loan).
Recently the lens mechanism broke. A friend of mine told me this happens eventually; he is familiar with this specific problem. The lens is a Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-200. The telescoping mechanism does not properly align the segments of the lens, and if I shake it slightly, there is a tinkling sound as of something small floating loose within.

My friend advises me that this is usually just as costly to repair as to replace.
I cannot afford a new lens of this type, nor likely even a used one.

The features of this lens are certainly much more than I need for my photography habits. I do want this level of zoom, though. My friend showed me a lens which starts out wide-angle and zooms until 1:1. This is not what I need. I need to start out basically at 1:1 and zoom as much as an affordable lens would allow me. This is consistent with my photography habits.

Can anyone recommend a lens that would suit me, which would be more affordable than one of these? The less expensive, the better.

Thanks.
Dan
DanielT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2012, 3:02 PM   #2

I don't know what you mean by 1:1 zoom. But, before you give up on the lens you have, are you sure it isn't still under warranty? If it is (the warranties on new lenses are quite long), you may be able to get it repaired for the price of shipment back to Nikon. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
I don't know what you mean by 1:1 zoom. But, before you give up on the lens you have, are you sure it isn't still under warranty? If it is (the warranties on new lenses are quite long), you may be able to get it repaired for the price of shipment back to Nikon. FWIW
Thank you for the advice! I will certainly inquire about the warranty.
What I meant by 1:1 is simply the same as eye-view. No zoom or wide-angle.
DanielT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 6:30 PM   #4

If the lens is not under warranty, there are places that can repair Nikon lenses, other than Nikon. KEH comes immediately to mind. In addition to repairing lenses, they are also one of the largest dealers of used lenses in the US.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 3:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielT2 View Post
What I meant by 1:1 is simply the same as eye-view. No zoom or wide-angle.
That means the same field of view as the naked eye. [NOTE: When I see 1:1. I think Macro.]

On old film cameras, to get the same field of view as the naked eye you would need a 50mm focal length lens, while on cropped sensors (ie. Nikon DX cameras like the Nikon D100), with the "crop factor" you would need a 35mm focal length lens?

If you don't need the "super zoom" from wide angle to telephoto all in one lens, you can get something like a Nikon 50-200mm f3.5-5.6 or a Nikon 70-300mm f3.5-5.6. The cost on these should be reasonable. I think there is a Nikon 50-300mm f3.5-5.6 which will be more expensive. But none of these lenses go to 35mm at the wide end, which means they will not give you the same field of view as the naked eye. Instead it will be narrower.

I believe there are lenses that start at 35mm (35-135mm). [Like this lens . . . http://www.jonparsonsphotography.com...mm-f35-45.html ], and various Sigma or probably Tamron equivalents. Starting at 35mm focal length. This "should" give a similar field of view to the naked eye, but won't zoom as much as going to 200mm or 300mm.

Hope this helps.

Take care,
Glen

Last edited by tacticdesigns; Aug 29, 2012 at 3:41 AM.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote