Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 31, 2012, 9:23 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6
Default Tamron SP AF 90mm f/ 2.8 272e vs 172e

What are the differances between these and is the 272e worth $40-$50 more? I use a Nikon D70.

Thank You,

Eric
er5reni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:42 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by er5reni View Post
What are the differances between these and is the 272e worth $40-$50 more? I use a Nikon D70.

Thank You,

Eric
The 272e version is equipped with a focus motor that allows the lens to be used with the entry level Nikon Dslr's like the D40, D40X, etc.

Your D70 can use either version.
__________________
http://scortoncreekgallery.smugmug.com/

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 2:27 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
The 272e version is equipped with a focus motor that allows the lens to be used with the entry level Nikon Dslr's like the D40, D40X, etc.
I'm not sure that is quite right. It is true that the 172e is an older, no-focusing-motor version of the lens, but if I'm not mistaken the BIM was added to the 272e after it had been released. If you look at the model number of the 272e and it contains "NII" in it, my understanding is that it definitely has a focusing motor. However, Tamron has some models of lenses that only have the "N" in the model number, but include a focusing motor anyway.

Furthermore, Adorama seems to be quite lazy in its model number labelling. Often, they seem to just use whatever number had been entered when the lens was first offered, and it often lacks the "NII" designation even though the lens they are offering for sale includes the focusing motor. All of which is a long way around to saying that there is no reliable way short of asking the seller to know whether the lens has a focusing motor. FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 3:39 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
I'm not sure that is quite right. It is true that the 172e is an older, no-focusing-motor version of the lens, but if I'm not mistaken the BIM was added to the 272e after it had been released. If you look at the model number of the 272e and it contains "NII" in it, my understanding is that it definitely has a focusing motor. However, Tamron has some models of lenses that only have the "N" in the model number, but include a focusing motor anyway.

Furthermore, Adorama seems to be quite lazy in its model number labelling. Often, they seem to just use whatever number had been entered when the lens was first offered, and it often lacks the "NII" designation even though the lens they are offering for sale includes the focusing motor. All of which is a long way around to saying that there is no reliable way short of asking the seller to know whether the lens has a focusing motor. FWIW


Hi,

The information that follows was a direct excerpt from the SLR Gear lens review of the Tamron 90mm macro lens.



Update 09/02/08: Tamron has announced that the Nikon mount version will be available with built-in AF motor (Model 272E) , for use with the Nikon D40, D40x and D60 SLRs.


For more information go to SLRGear.com and look up the Tamron 90mm Prime macro lens
Zig
__________________
http://scortoncreekgallery.smugmug.com/

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 3:44 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
... If you look at the model number of the 272e and it contains "NII" in it, my understanding is that it definitely has a focusing motor. However, Tamron has some models of lenses that only have the "N" in the model number, but include a focusing motor anyway.
From the Tamron Website:
Quote:
Tamron lenses built for use on Nikon cameras, with the exception of those listed below, feature a Built-In Motor for autofocus compatibility with Nikon's D40, D40X, D60, D3000 and D5000 Digital SLR cameras. These Tamron lenses in Nikon mount can be identified by the model number, which includes the Roman numeral two after the "N" (e.g., B003NII-700). ...
I'm pretty certain that the difference between the 172E and the 272E is that the 172E was not a "Di" ("Digitally Integrated") lens. That probably means the 172E doesn't have the antireflective coatings on the rear-most element(s).
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.

Last edited by TCav; Aug 31, 2012 at 3:47 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 7:58 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi,

The information that follows was a direct excerpt from the SLR Gear lens review of the Tamron 90mm macro lens.



Update 09/02/08: Tamron has announced that the Nikon mount version will be available with built-in AF motor (Model 272E) , for use with the Nikon D40, D40x and D60 SLRs.
Yes, the BIM has been retrofitted to the 272E after it was released. That is true of most of Tamron's lenses. The problem is that there are older 272E lenses without the BIM and newer ones with the BIM. If you are buying new, you are going to get a lens with the BIM. But if you are buying used, you can find 272Es with a BIM and 272Es without one. That was what I was trying to make clear. Compounding the problem, the model numbers are often inaccurately posted.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2012, 4:16 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
Yes, the BIM has been retrofitted to the 272E after it was released. That is true of most of Tamron's lenses. The problem is that there are older 272E lenses without the BIM and newer ones with the BIM. If you are buying new, you are going to get a lens with the BIM. But if you are buying used, you can find 272Es with a BIM and 272Es without one. That was what I was trying to make clear. Compounding the problem, the model numbers are often inaccurately posted.
Sounds like a good reason to buy either the Nikon 105mm macro or the Sigma 105mm macro instead
Zig
__________________
http://scortoncreekgallery.smugmug.com/

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2012, 6:46 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6
Default

"That probably means the 172E doesn't have the antireflective coatings on the rear-most element(s). "

Is this very important? BIM doesn't sound important since I have a D70.
er5reni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2012, 7:00 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,543
Default

One of the differences between film and digital, with respect to lenses, is that film isn't very reflective, while digital image sensors are very reflective. The light that isn't collected by the photoreceptors reflects back at the lens. If the lens' rearmost element does not have an antireflective coating, some of the light that reflects off the sensor toward the lens will reflect off the lens back toward the sensor. This can result in flare or ghosting.

Generally, it's only a problem in high contrast images.

I've used many lenses, including macro lenses, that didn't have antireflective coatings on the rearmost element, and I've never had a problem.

But it can and does happen.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 PM.