Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:25 PM   #1

Default 24-120mm FX...

When I bought the D600, I was not thinking of having to buy a new lens as well. I suppose I could have been forgiven for forgetting it was a full framer and that the DX lenses I had for the D300 really aren't suited to them, so it was an on the spot decision to choose which of the few avaialble lenses it was to be. I was advised by my brother to go for a 24-70mm and that appealed to me as I did some reading and on this one and it scored quite well, but they didn't have any in stock. Next on the list, and at the advice of the Nikon expert in the shop, was the 24-120mm. I'd had one of the previous models on the D300 and did not really like the results although it did work better on the D80,, but how would this new model go on the D600. I took the chance and bought it. A few earlier shots on overcast days, revealed some quite dark shots which I wouldn't have got on the D300 but over the weekend I gave the rig a good blast out with a good few days of weather from brilliant sunshine to a few clouds but NO rain on the radar. Good...

I was very surprised at the overall results. Some really nice shots were yielded by this lens and even though I had to make a reasonable amount of adjustments to the camera settings during some changing levels of light, some really lovely shots were taken. Most of them were of the "across the lake" (even though it was a small lake,, large pond really) inner city variety. Sort of landscape type in the city/suburbs. I was satisfied at some of the very sharp shots I got. Nothing totally outstanding but some were as good as "I" could expect, given that I am no expert or pro.

I don't really want to go into technicalities on this lens, mainly because I don't really know a good lens from a bad one until I use one or t'other and view the results. Apart from the fact that images can get a little dark when conditions do so, I can say this lens is almost perfect as a ultility lens for the all-round category in my style of shooting... About an 8 to 8.5 out of 10...

I'd love to try the 28-300mm lens but have heard a varying amount of opinions vs results on it so I'm going to take a chance. The price on them is quite good too...
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:52 AM   #2
NHL

I went through the same process when I picked up my D800 a few weeks ago...

However I decided to go for the 24-70mm instead (as it came with a $200 rebate when bought at the same time as the camera).
The 24-70mm is definitely the superior performer especially at the border and extreme borders, although the center performance is quite similar between the two:
http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/456..._28_ff?start=1
http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/574...f4vrff?start=1

-> Distortion and vignetting are also much less on the 24-70mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fewpics View Post
I'd love to try the 28-300mm lens but have heard a varying amount of opinions vs results on it so I'm going to take a chance. The price on them is quite good too...
If your goal includes landscape images then I would stay away from the 28-300:
http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff/578...00vrff?start=1

Last edited by NHL; Oct 1, 2012 at 1:15 AM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 6:28 PM   #3

I'd love to compare the 24-120mm to the 24-70mm, preferably if I owned them both but I'll have to save a few pennies up first, then there's battery grips and extra batteries, another camera bag to get etc. All things in time, I guess...
Old Oct 6, 2012, 12:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fewpics View Post
I'd love to compare the 24-120mm to the 24-70mm, preferably if I owned them both but I'll have to save a few pennies up first, then there's battery grips and extra batteries, another camera bag to get etc. All things in time, I guess...
Have read that the 24-120 has some distortion issues, but that was only one opinion.
Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 3:15 AM   #5

I suppose every zoom lens will suffer from a one type of distortion or another. Some people like to make something of an issue over this sort of thing though. I have seen one result of a test which showed a certain amount of this distortion, insignificant by my standards because I am not a pro. I haven't noticed any but then again I haven't yet taken any shots to induce noticeable barrelling or pc'ing. That doesn't mean to say it's not there, just that I haven't looked for it and/or it hasn't shown up...

Every zoom lens I have ever owned was supposed to have a level of distortion through its range but I really haven't been overly worried about it. That plus the fact that Photoshop can handle it for me "if" I so wished, kept me reasonably happy...

It is a good lens though...
Old Oct 6, 2012, 10:42 PM   #6

I just picked up the D600 today, so post some pics with your 24-120 lens sometime. I'd be deciding/comparing between the 24-120 and maybe a 24-85 nikkor when I spring for a lens.
Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:26 PM   #7

Ok, I'll try to get some asap, but I've installed some software and it's messed up something. Each time I try to access video or sometimes pics, I get errors message about missing files and updating codecs etc.

If only I hadn't installed that damned program...