Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:57 AM   #1

Default Nikon 35mm F/1.8 G DX lens... good prime lens ????

I bought my first DSLR, a Nikon D5100. I wish to purchase a prime lens for it. Question: Would this Nikon 35mm F/1.8 G DX lens be a good choice ? I want to use it as an all around lens plus close focus work (macro). I figure I can crop to get 1 to 1 photos or how about using extention tubes on it to make it a macro lens ? What do you think ? I can't afford a 105mm macro lens. Thanks for your help.
surplusshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:36 AM   #2

The Nikon 35mm f/1.8G is a nice prime, but it doesn't focus very closely by itself, and it's got more field curvature than it should if you want to use it with extension tubes.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:40 AM   #3

If you want the 35mm for macro work, consider the Nikon 40mm f/2.8. It is a macro lens and doesn't cost much more than the 35mm. A macro at that focal length doesn't have much working distance when you go to 1:1, but if you are shooting relatively flat and inanimate objects that shouldn't be a big problem.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 6:43 PM   #4

Thanks for all of the replies. "TCav", in your reply, you used the phrase "field curvature". I don't understand what this means. I'm sorry but I am rather new to this, however I am eager to learn. Can you explain what this phrase means. Thanks.
surplusshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:05 PM   #5

Field curvature - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_curvature

Basically, it means that, while the center may be sharp, the sharpness falls off quickly as you look closer to the edges and corners.

Ideally, a lens would be able to focus a flat subject over the entire image sensor, but that rarely occurs, except in relatively expensive lenses, frequently macro lenses. In conventional photography, this isn't usually a significant problem, but for macro work not having good sharpness over the entire subject can be frustrating.

Extension tubes are a very good way to get into macrophotography inexpensively, but they will magnify the flaws in the lens you use them with.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 5:29 PM   #6

I agree - it's a great walk-around lens but do not buy it to do macro work. Just isn't going to be what you want. The 40mm 2.8 is a good recommendation though you'll lose 1 1/3 stops in aperture.

Here's one more option if you're a little adventurous - buy the 35mm 1.8 and then buy a non-ai 55mm f/3.5 micro with PK-3 extension tube. Your D5100 can mount a non-AI lens so this would work for you as long as you don't try to mount it on any bodies that have a focusing motor in the body. I got my setup for $50 and it is SHARP. The drawback is that you have to do the metering and focusing manually. Not a big deal with practice and precise macro work pretty much requires manual focus anyway. Here is one shot I took with this setup:

DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote