Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 19, 2012, 1:04 PM   #1

Default lenses

hi, im very new to photography, ive got a nikon d5100, im lookin at getting another lense, can someone tell me what is the difference between Nikon AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Tamron AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 Nikon+Motor, Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD LD Aspherical IF Macro Zoom Lens with Built in Motor and nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300MM f/ 4.5-5.6G ED VR LENS. I no theres a difference in price, im not really understanding the letters and numbers, and that some are not compatable to the d5100. i want a good lense that will give me lots of zoom, and a good allrounder.
rugbygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:05 PM   #2

Default lense

hi, im very new to photography, ive got a nikon d5100, im lookin at getting another lense, can someone tell me what is the difference between Nikon AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Tamron AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 Nikon+Motor, Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD LD Aspherical IF Macro Zoom Lens with Built in Motor and nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300MM f/ 4.5-5.6G ED VR LENS. I no theres a difference in price, im not really understanding the letters and numbers, and that some are not compatable to the d5100. i want a good lense that will give me lots of zoom, and a good allrounder.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:06 PM   #3

Default lenses

Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:15 PM   #4

G'day Ruby

Firstly - welcome to Steves forum where there are hundreds [or maybe lots more than hundreds] of keen photographers ...

You are asking a heap of Qs about lenses ~ good on you for asking before you commit your money for something that 'might' not suit

You say "im not really understanding the letters and numbers,,,"
Okay let's start with the "Nikon AF-S VR 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED"
The text contains useful jargon to sellers & buyers alike, but comes down to
Nikon ........ made by
AF-S ........ Auto Focus lens with nikon's 'Silent' motor
VR ........... Vibration Reduction [called Image Stabilisation by others]
70-300 ..... the lens starts at 70mm focal length and goes to 300mm
f/4.5-5.6G . the maximum aperture is f4,5 and as you zoom out to 300mm it decreases slightly to f5,6
IF- ........... Internal focussing, means that the lens doesn't get longer as it focusses [but it will grow lots & lots during zooming]
ED ........... it uses a special glass called ED that keeps colours accurate at longer zoom settings

The Tamron lenses have the same collection of stuff as well

I am sure that many nikon users [I'm not one of them] will offer you lots of extra advice about the 'best' of the above lenses for you - maybe you can help us a little bit more by telling us a bit about "what sort of photos do you want to take with this new toy??"

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 5:51 PM   #5

The Tamron 18-270 covers a range from wide angle(18mm) to a good long telephoto zoom(270mm)- and the "VC" stands for vibration control- aka image stabiliser.
"AF" stand for auto-focus.
The "PZD" is their latest auto-focus motor drive. The "IF" stands for internal focus, so the end element doesn't rotate during focus- ideal for polarising filter use.
"Di" means it's designed for digital use.

In Tamron's own words...
http://www.tamron-usa.com/lenses/technology.asp

Whatever lens you choose for the D5100- it has to have a built in auto-focus motor.

If you only had one lens, I'd suggest the above would be the best all rounder simply because it starts at wide angle(ideal for landscapes,group photos etc..) and has a good telephoto reach- pretty close to the reach of a telephoto only lens.

All the others listed are primarily telephoto only lenses.

The "f" numbers are the widest achievable aperture at both ends of the lens's reach- in the case of the above Tamron- f/3.5 at 18mm, f/6.3 at 270mm.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 9:30 PM   #6

First, they're all compatible with the D5100.

The Nikon 70-300 VR is better, but more expensive than the Tamron 70-300 Di LD, plus it's stabilized while the Tamron is not.

(Image stabilization is a system for compensating for motion blur due to camera shake, and is especially useful when shooting hand held and using long focal lengths.)

The Nikon 70-300 VR is also better than the Tamron 70-300 VC USD that you didn't mention, though this Tamron is stabilized.

The Tamron 18-270 is what's known as a superzoom lens because of its long zoom range. It's one lens that trys to to a lot and ends up not doing anything particularly well. The Nikon 18-55 kit lens that you already have, plus the Tamron 70-300 Di LD will provide better image quality than the Tamron 18-270, and cost less. But you would have to change lenses as the occasion arose, while you wouldn't with the 18-270.

The Nikon 55-300 isn't as good as the Nikon 70-300 or the Tamron 70-300 VC USD I mentioned, but it's smaller and lighter. It's better than the Tamron 70-300 Di LD and the Tamron 18-270.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:25 AM   #7

What lens do you have now? If it is the 18-55 kit lens, then there is really no reason to get the 18-270. These "travel lenses" have rather mediocre performance across their range -- there's just no way to make a lens that covers more than about 4x zoom range without making it optically poor for a sigrificant part of its range, and less than outstanding anywhere. The reason to get a travel lens is because it is convenient, not because it is good. But, to my mind, you might as well just get a P&S with a big zoom and keep it in your pocket if convenience is your main goal.

The two 70-300 lenses are both quite good inexpensive telephoto lenses. If you have the 18-55, they would go well with that lens to cover most focal lengths of interest for most photography. There's no compelling reason to choose one over the other AFAICS.

The 55-300 is optically not bad. It has a bit more of a vignetting problem than the 70-300s because it is a DX instead of an FX lens (vignetting means that the edges and corners are darker than the center part of the image with that lens.) Also, the 55-300 has a slower focusing motor than either 70-300, so it can be a problem if you are shooting sports photos or birds in flight -- anything where there is action that you are trying to track as you shoot. If those two downsides don't bother you, the 55-300 is a perfectly good lens.

FWIW.

[ETA: I just realized that you are not asking about the Tamron 70-300 with VC. Don't get any Tamron 70-300 other than the new one, which has an ultrasonic motor (faster focusing) and image stabilization.]

Last edited by tclune; Oct 20, 2012 at 11:41 AM.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:27 PM   #8
Administrator

rugbygal

Please do not post the same questions in multiple forums as you just did (starting threads in 3 different forums asking the same things).

That's referred to as "cross posting", and is considered to be unacceptable from a forum etiquette perspective in most forums. Many new forum posters don't realize that, so no problem, as I'm sure you didn't mean any harm,

But, for future reference, please do not do that going forward, and stick to posting the same thing (like your current questions) in just one forum here. If you decide you made a mistake regarding the forum that's best for your questions and want the thread moved to a different forum, just send me a PM (Private Message) and I can move a thread to a different forum for you if desired.

Otherwise, if you cross post the same thing to multiple forums, it can confuse other members, since they may not be aware that you've already received responses in other threads. Plus, "cross posting" the same questions in multiple forums is not fair to other members posting in the same forums, since new threads will "bump" other threads, since the newest posts rise to the top of the threads list for a given forum.

I've now merged the 3 threads you started with the same content into one thread (this one) in our Nikon Lenses Forum

That way, all of the responses to the same questions that you've received so far (and going forward) will be in one thread, versus scattered between 3 different threads in 3 different forums.

Thanks for understanding, and Welcome to Steve's
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote