Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 14, 2012, 5:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaym2100 View Post
hi thank you all for your suggestions.

i am very new to digital photography, and generally i cannot go out to shoot landscape's and nature.
so i take photos while walking on New York streets. on there my 55-200 mm lens works good for zooming but it is not able to capture wide view of the road mostly on the places like times square. for portraits it works pretty well.
Hi,

Any of the medium zoom lenses mentioned here would serve you well. I would only add the 17-50mm F2.8 lens Unstabilized into the mix. The other point I would make is that consideration should be given to the lens choices that allow more light into the lens(f2.8) thus allowing you to operate in lower light conditions without sacrificing shutter speed.

As for nature and landscapes, since you live in New York City, Central Park offers a myriad of landscape & nature opportunities. Central Park is a wonderful place for photographing birds in spring and fall when birds are migrating.

B&H Photo located in NYC is a great place to take your camera and try out some of the lenses under discussion.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 5:51 AM   #12

Olmsted and Vaux practiced on Central Park so they could be sure to get Prospect Park right.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 OS HSM ($199) is faster and better than the Nikon 18-55 kit lens.

The Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 VR ($397) has more vignetting and distortion than I'd like, but it's pretty sharp for its zoom range.

The Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.0 OS HSM ($419) is also nice.
how about tamron 17-50 mms lens, how is it compare to sigma 17-70 mm or with sigma 18-50mm?
jaym2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:26 PM   #14

The UNSTABILIZED Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 ($449) is excellent, and it's faster, but it has a limited zoom range, and of course, it's unstabilized.

The STABILIZED Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS HSM ($619) isn't as good, but it's stabilized.

The STABILIZED Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC ($549) isn't as good as that, but it's stabilized.

These all have less zoom range that the Sigma 17-70 and Nikon 18-105, and their larger aperture isn't much of an advantage for street photography which presumeably, will be outdoors in good light.

But chances are, if you'll be shooting outdoors in good light, you won't need stabilization.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 1:07 PM   #15

I don't do much street shooting but here's a few examples of what I have shot
with the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.0 OS HSM macro...

D7k with old/new glass and a few other things...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:58 PM   #16

how is tamron 18-270mm lens , does it make sense to replace my nikon 55-200 lens with Tamron lens?
jaym2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 3:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaym2100 View Post
how is tamron 18-270mm lens , does it make sense to replace my nikon 55-200 lens with Tamron lens?
No, it doesn't. The Nikon 55-200 is not a great lens, but where their ranges overlap, it is a lot sharper and has less chromatic aberration than the Tamron 18-270. What the 18-270 offers is convenience, in that you don't have to change lenses to get a lot of different focal lengths. But the Nikon 55-200 paired with any of the other lenses we've discussed here will produce much higher image quality.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 6:12 AM   #18

Hey TCav,

Do you ever sleep? I thought I was an early riser. But, at 4:50am, you've got me beat..

Oh, and by the way, you're right any of the super zooms are a compromise, at best. The better investment is to add a medium zoom to the 55-200mm.
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; Nov 16, 2012 at 6:15 AM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 9:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hey TCav,

Do you ever sleep? I thought I was an early riser. But, at 4:50am, you've got me beat..
I'm usually up early, but sometimes I'm up really early. Today was one of those times.