Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 13, 2012, 1:28 PM   #1

Default new lens for my nikon d5100

Hi all

I have nikon d5100 with 55-200 mm lens.
i want to buy new lens mostly for street photography and little bit of wide angle photographs . my budget is $ 500. please suggest me lens
jaym2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2012, 2:17 PM   #2

The Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 OS HSM ($199) is faster and better than the Nikon 18-55 kit lens.

The Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 VR ($397) has more vignetting and distortion than I'd like, but it's pretty sharp for its zoom range.

The Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.0 OS HSM ($419) is also nice.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 2:35 PM   #3

thanks for reply.
do sigma lenses are better than nikon and tamron lenses?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 2:48 PM   #4

In general, OEM (Nikon, Canon, etc.) lenses are better than third party lenses (Sigma, Tamron, etc.), especially as far as build quality is concerned. But the lenses I mentioned are optically quite good, and I haven't heard anything bad about their builds. The good thing about the two Sigma lenses I mentioned is that they're both 2/3 to a full stop faster than comparable OEM lenses.

Last edited by TCav; Nov 13, 2012 at 2:57 PM. Reason: sp
Old Nov 13, 2012, 3:01 PM   #5

I really like the 35mm 1.8dx for it's small size and value though I tend to prefer to be a bit wider for street photography. I have been shooting street at 28mm on my full-frame D600 lately.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 3:18 PM   #6

"Street Photography" means different things to different people. I suggested zoom lenses that would permit greater flexibility. Large aperture primes have less vignetting stopped down, are sharper, and have less distortion which would improve the quality of images of buildings, etc.

What do you think, jaym2100? Would you perfer a zoom or a large apertrue prime?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:03 PM   #7

I wasn't trying to argue for one or the other. Just sharing my preference. One thing nice about wide primes is that they force you to get close to your subject and make for more intimate photos IMO. The newer photographer typically wants a zoom but one of the better things I did as a newer photographer was to buy a prime. They also can force you to think more about composition.

Having said that - I have a street photograph being published in Popular Photography next month that was shot with a 28-75 at 34mm so I must confess that in the interest of full disclosure! When shooting that lens though I typically stay between 28 and 35 and treat it more like a prime.

brad

Last edited by DigMe; Nov 13, 2012 at 4:07 PM.
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:46 PM   #8

The Tamron 28-75/2.8 ($474) is also a nice lens, in about the same range as the others I listed, but jaym2100 specifically mentioned "little bit of wide angle photographs", so I omitted it. Plus it's not stabilized.

You're right, and I didn't take offense at your suggesting a wide, fast prime. But since it seems that jaym2100's only lens is the 55-200, and he mentioned "little bit of wide angle photographs", I thought a prime might be too restrictive.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 6:31 PM   #9

I'll cast my vote for the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.0 OS HSM that TCav linked to
above... It's my favorite walk around lens and also does an excellent job with
close focusing... It's a really versitile and fun/sharp lens, IMHO...

D7k with old/new glass and a few other things...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:41 PM   #10

hi thank you all for your suggestions.

i am very new to digital photography, and generally i cannot go out to shoot landscape's and nature.
so i take photos while walking on New York streets. on there my 55-200 mm lens works good for zooming but it is not able to capture wide view of the road mostly on the places like times square. for portraits it works pretty well.