Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 24, 2012, 4:48 PM   #1

Default Need Complete Lens Kit...Please Help

Hello,
I am in the process of selling off my fathers camera collection in order to buy a new lens collection for my Nikon D90. I have already check compatibility and few will work on my D90.

My biggest problem is finding a lens solution that will work for indoor sports, like gymnastics, as well as day-to-day shooting. I have read so many reviews that I'm really getting overwhelmed and would appreciate any advice. My budget will be under $2,500. I've had bad luck with Sigma lenses, so I prefer to buy Nikon lenses.

So far, the lenses I've been looking at are:

Nikon - 85mm f/1.8
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/85AF.htm

Nikon - 70-200mm VR II f/2.8
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70-200mm-ii.htm

I considered the new 28-300mm superzoom by Nikon, but worry about it's ability to shoot sports. The way I see it, if I get something that can shoot sports, it can shoot most everything else.

Any ways, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Almost Jake
AlmostJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2012, 5:13 PM   #2

The 85/1.8 is available AF-D and AF-S. The newer AF-S version is better. I've used the older AF-D version for indoor equestrian events and been very pleased. The AF-S should be very good.

The 28-300 gets dim at the long end, so it wouldn't do well for indoor sports.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:37 AM   #3

Default I suspected that..

the new 28-300 Nikon wouldn't work, except as a daily vacation lens. What I fear about the 85mm Nikon is it's range, since I'll probably be a good distance away from the floor action (possibly 100 - 300 ft away).

If I buy the 70-200 Nikon to get the reach I'll need, then I'll have to also buy a second lens for closer action.

Any suggestions?
AlmostJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:22 AM   #4

300 feet away? Indoors? That's a pretty big venue.

From Lens working distances, I'd say that, even with the 70-200, you'd be lucky to do well with a subject that's 300 feet away, especially if the subject is a little girl doing gymnastics.

If you can get by with a maximum aperture of f/2.8, you might need to use an ISO of 3200 or 6400, which will prioduce a lot of noise on the D90. How about you rent one, and see how it works out.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 6:05 PM   #5

To be honest and not saying that I am any expert, because I'm NOT, but it sounds like you are asking too much of any one single lens, and that indeed multiple lenses, or at least two lenses, would be a minimum for what you want. So you might have to swap lenses every now and then - that's the nature of this game... I use a 24-120mm and a 70-300mm to cover most of what I want on the D600, which is outdoors only and in daylight. Presumably, when you say indoors, you mean with artificial lighting. For this, you are going to need good 'purpose made' glass and that's going to start costing,, if you are talking distances like above. Either that or you're simply going to have to get closer...
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote