Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:46 PM   #1

Default Nikon 40mm F/2.8 G AT-S DX "MICRO" lens ?

I have a quick question about the new Nikon 40mm F/2.8 DX Macro lens. Lets say it was mounted on a Nikon D5100 DSLR. I don't have this lens but I have read that in order to get true 1 to 1 macro shots with this lens you have to be very close to the subject. Like one inch or less. I read that this creates a problem of getting into your own light and getting a shadow of the lens in your photo. My question: After you switch the lens to the macro position, can you still get slightly less than 1 to 1 close up shots at lets say 2 inches or even 4 inches from the subject ? Will this lens allow you to focus at less that the 1 to 1 distance ? Thanks.
surplusshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2013, 4:00 PM   #2

Yes. The minimum focus distance of the AF-S DX Micro-NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G is 0.53 ft., or 6.36 in.

There is no "Macro" switch. This lens focuses continuously from 6.36 inches to infinity.

The key criterion for selecting a macro lens is the subject you plan to shoot. This 40mm macro lens is relatively short, which is good for inanimate objects in good light. Is that what you have in mind?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:33 PM   #3

'TCav", thanks for your reply to my question. Yes, I want this lens for small inanimate objects (old collectable coins. I will also be using it as a walk around prime. You stated that the minimum focus distance is 6.36 inches. I read that too but I think this is from the face of the sensor to the end of the lens, Yes ??? One review I read said that for 1 to 1 photos the lens must be 1.3 inches from the subject. Don't know ? You said it does not have a macro switch. The picture that I saw of it shows two switches on the side of the lens. One is marked M/A & M and the other is marked FULL and 00-0.2M. I know that the M/A & M is for manual or auto focus but what is the other switch for ? Thanks again.
surplusshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:02 PM   #4
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by surplusshooter View Post
... I read that too but I think this is from the face of the sensor to the end of the lens, Yes ???
Yes, It's measured from the sensor (film) plane
i.e. There should be a 'Phy', a line with a circle, on your camera body to determine where this distance should be measured from to the subject for focusing distance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surplusshooter View Post
The picture that I saw of it shows two switches on the side of the lens. One is marked M/A & M and the other is marked FULL and 00-0.2M. I know that the M/A & M is for manual or auto focus but what is the other switch for ?
This is called the limit switch, at the ''FULL'' position the lens will focus the entire range, which may be too slow for a macro lens.
When limit to '00-0.2M' the AF has to displaced less so this will limit the search back and forth to only between 00-0.2M, hence less 'hunting'.

Last edited by NHL; Jan 20, 2013 at 10:22 PM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote