Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:08 AM   #1

Default 2.5 X Super macro lens attachment ???

I am considering the purchase of a "Raynox DCR-250" 2.5 X Super macro lens converter. I have seen some examples of photos that were taken using this lens attachment and I was very impressed. One example was a photo of a common house fly.....just it's eye. Although the DOF was very short, the picture quality was outstanding in detail, color and clarity. The photo was shot with the Nikon D5100 and a 55-300MM F/4.5-5.6 ED VR AF-S DX zoom lens. Does anyone here have any experience with the Raynox DCR-250 lens converter ? What are your thoughts and opinions on this ? Thanks.
surplusshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:46 AM   #2

The Raynox lenses are attached to the end of the host lens, and so the image quality relies to a great extent on the quality of the optics of the lens you use them with.

In general, zoom lenses achieve their own maximum magnification ratio at their longest focal length, which is not usually where they are sharpest. You need to be careful to use these types of closeup lenses with very good host lenses.

Another thing to consider with these types of lenses is that they are sharpest in the center, but the sharpness drops off quickly toward the edges.

In other words, these types of lenses are not suitable substitutes for actual macro lenses, or even extension tubes.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:52 PM   #3

G'day SS

The Raynox 250 is a similar spec to the Canon 250D .... each is a +4 dioptre, 2-element lens with a focus distance of 250mm lens-to-subject

As TC says - all these lenses utilise the IQ of the primary lens: all the attachment does is to force the focus down to 250mm [although as the primary lens focuses down from infinity to 1,2metres, the 250mm comes down to about 200mm]

I have the Canon 250D and I love it
I use it most on my panny 45-200 zoom lense - where the zoom normally stops at about 1,2metres [4 feet], when I've got this on board I can get in "real-close". The best thing about it is that I still have a full 100% of zoom available to resize the subject

These lenses will not replace a true 'macro' lens - but at 1/5 the price of a macro, they certainly give excellent results for the 'part-time' close up photographer

Extension tubes [as mentioned by TC] certainly are another option, but you cannot use extension tubes AND the zoom lens together ... immediately you zoom the lens, the focus shoots all over the place and you're 'photographically buggered'

ps- I also use a focus-rail on the camera / tripod combo to shift the camera/close-up lens system to & fro by up to 100mm / 4" during close up work [refer to some pix on my flickr site if you wish]

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:18 AM   #4

Thanks everyone for the replies. I noticed a picture of a Panasonic Lumix FZ-35 that had what appeared to have either a home made or commerical extension tube on the front of it's lens and the Raynox DCR-250 was mounted at the end. What is the reason for this ? Was this just a necessity to make the Raynox fit on this bridge camera or was it to increase the macro ratio ? Thanks.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:18 PM   #5

G'day SS

The Panny extension-tube thingo has been around for many years - and it does an excellent job

Early model Pannys [and most non-Panny cameras] did not have a filter-thread on the actual lens barrel - so needed the device to hold the filter / closeup lens in place [later cameras have a 46mm filter thread onto the actual lens]
Because the zoom lens 'grows' out of the camera body, the closeup lens needs to be located so that the zoom lens does not impede the actions of the closeup lens.
So comes the tube thingo - which takes the weight of the accessory off the zoom & focus motors

It is also used on the Panny for the teleconverter lenses that take the zoom from 18x up to 40x or so for out-of-afrika sort of stuff

here's a link showing their use...
http://www.safari-guide.co.uk/panaso...rsion-lens.php

Hope this helps a bit ...
Regards, Phil

Last edited by Ozzie_Traveller; Mar 6, 2013 at 3:17 PM.
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 8:43 AM   #6

Thank you "OZZIE_Traveller", for your answer to my question. Now I understand. Great information at the link that you provided. Also, I love your photos on Flickr, outstanding shots. Thank again.