Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 22, 2013, 8:40 PM   #11

Hi zig,

The Tamron is rated very high on Photozone. Price at Amazon is very attractive (vs. B&H). B&H also charges shipping to Hawaii which makes it even more costly.

Was your D600 affected by the oil/dust issues?
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 8:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
If you buy it there, you'll pay an outrageous sales tax. It might be cheaper to place the order on line, and pay for next day shipping to your home.
Thanks, TCav.

Rest assured, I'll not buy anything there. But, I'll have the D600 with me & it would be nice to take a few shots with the lens.

You're right, it's better to buy online-at least until November when the online orders will be subject to a tax.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 8:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniolo View Post
Hi zig,

The Tamron is rated very high on Photozone. Price at Amazon is very attractive (vs. B&H). B&H also charges shipping to Hawaii which makes it even more costly.

Was your D600 affected by the oil/dust issues?
Yes, even though, I bought a refurbed D600, thinking that the oil/dust issue would have been resolved. The D600 still can show some oil spots in the image. This is especially true in "blue sky" images with the F-stop set to f16 or beyond.

For most of my work, this isn't an issue, but there are times that the spots become a real pain.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:30 PM   #14

Tamron 24-70, price went back up to $1,300 at Amazon!!
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:40 AM   #15

Pulled the trigger on the refurb D800 - still on the learning curve but am impressed with what I see straight out of the cam. Saw the announcement for the Sigma 24-105/f4 and will wait for a review. If as sharp as their other new ones, maybe worth the wait, fingers crossed.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:10 AM   #16

I have no experience with the Tamron so I can't compare it with my 24-70mm f2.8 but all I can say about this lens is that is fantastic, versatile, fast auto-focusing and very sharp.

I use it all the time on my D600 and the results are always stellar.

Let me show you some of my pictures with the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8

I know it is a expensive lens but is really worth it.

Good luck with your search.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2013, 3:57 AM   #17

Great shots Marcelo! I believe that this lens is #1 as far as image quality is concerned. Will put a dent in my wallet but may be the best match.

Thanks for posting.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 5:52 AM   #18

Hi Marcelo,

Yes, the 24-70mm Nikkor is without doubt, a stellar lens. One that I would love to own.

Right now, though, my enthusiasm for Nikon equipment has diminished.

My 70-200mm f2.8 ED AF-S VR lens stopped focusing and Nikon tells me it will cost a minimum of $600 to repair.

To add to my dilemma, I found over the weekend that my D600's shutter is malfunctioning. When pressing the shutter, it doesn't release, causing an ERR message. In looking thru the troubleshooting menus, I find that the shutter most likely will need to be replaced. I bought the camera in April.

Yikes, this is not something I'm happy about.

Zig

Old Nov 13, 2013, 3:20 PM   #19

Zig,

Sorry to hear about your Nikon problems. Hope your warranty for the D600 is still valid, but losing the camera for any length of time can be ........
Old Nov 14, 2013, 10:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniolo View Post
Great shots Marcelo! I believe that this lens is #1 as far as image quality is concerned. Will put a dent in my wallet but may be the best match.

Thanks for posting.
Thank you Paniolo,

Good luck with your search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Marcelo,

Yes, the 24-70mm Nikkor is without doubt, a stellar lens. One that I would love to own.

Right now, though, my enthusiasm for Nikon equipment has diminished.

My 70-200mm f2.8 ED AF-S VR lens stopped focusing and Nikon tells me it will cost a minimum of $600 to repair.

To add to my dilemma, I found over the weekend that my D600's shutter is malfunctioning. When pressing the shutter, it doesn't release, causing an ERR message. In looking thru the troubleshooting menus, I find that the shutter most likely will need to be replaced. I bought the camera in April.

Yikes, this is not something I'm happy about.

Zig
Zig,

So sorry to heard that, what it is the problem with the lens? provably the motor stop working? I have a friend that has the same issue, he sent the lens to Nikon and they fixed the problem for $540.

I know is a pain to have to deal with this issues.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote