Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
They look pretty impressive Marcelo. Like the sharpness, that shallow DOF and the bokeh. I'll echo Zig's comments. Nice lens, nice shots, all of them. Well done.

I borrowed my mates D600 W/17-35 lens for the last 2 houses I shot for real estate. Shooting at 3200 ISO at F9 and hand held in a low light situation...Hand held! I couldn't have done it with my Oly set up.

Has me thinking hard thoughts now I'm getting ready to upgrade. Slinking off and siding with you and Zig..

Edit: Just looked on line and found a new one for $979. Seriously thinking of this and a D600 (Body at $1219.99 New!) just to get me going.
http://www.42photo.com/pd-productid-...fgodOhUArw.htm

http://www.ibcart.com/details/digita...FQmCfgody2YABQ
Hi Ken,

Over the years, I've learned the hard way that it is really important to have the right tool for the job. That thinking is equally true for cameras and the types of photography that you intend to use it for.

As you already know, Real Estate Photography requires wide angle lenses capable of delivering very sharp images with little distortion. Lenses also need to be fast, to operate in a wide range lighting conditions and control depth of field.
The best cameras for this type of work also have to the ability provide 'clean' images in high ISO situations.

The best tool for your application, IMHO, is a full frame camera using a wide angle 2.8 lens. The D600 equipped with the Nikkor 17-35mm lens would be my choice.
As for slinking off with Marcelo & I, I prefer to think your coming over to the "bright" side.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Ken,

Over the years, I've learned the hard way that it is really important to have the right tool for the job. That thinking is equally true for cameras and the types of photography that you intend to use it for.

As you already know, Real Estate Photography requires wide angle lenses capable of delivering very sharp images with little distortion. Lenses also need to be fast, to operate in a wide range lighting conditions and control depth of field.
The best cameras for this type of work also have to the ability provide 'clean' images in high ISO situations.

The best tool for your application, IMHO, is a full frame camera using a wide angle 2.8 lens. The D600 equipped with the Nikkor 17-35mm lens would be my choice.
As for slinking off with Marcelo & I, I prefer to think your coming over to the "bright" side.

Zig
Hi Zig, good to hear from you. Totally agree with your humble opinion. Seeing that it's my thinking also.
The last 3 of homes I've shot have been with that combination and I've been totally impressed. (The light is amazing) Not only with the results but the lack of PP needed to post on line. With my old set up and I have to admit that it's old technology that requires work and work on a shot were the light isn't right means noise.. loud noise..!
With the Nikon combo it meant sizing down, they are massive files in comparison, perhaps a bit of cropping. I like the width of angle, I can really show off a room but I don't need all the ceiling.
I've realized that I've been compensating for my camera.

Looks like next month I'll pick up a D600 with a mid range zoom. 25-70 2.8? Because Terry, my buddy, insists that I use his 17-35 until my next deal.

We'll see how it all pans out.

Last edited by Scouse; Jan 22, 2014 at 10:24 AM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:50 PM   #13

Quote:
They look pretty impressive Marcelo. Like the sharpness, that shallow DOF and the bokeh. I'll echo Zig's comments. Nice lens, nice shots, all of them. Well done.

I borrowed my mates D600 W/17-35 lens for the last 2 houses I shot for real estate. Shooting at 3200 ISO at F9 and hand held in a low light situation...Hand held! I couldn't have done it with my Oly set up.

Has me thinking hard thoughts now I'm getting ready to upgrade. Slinking off and siding with you and Zig..

Edit: Just looked on line and found a new one for $979. Seriously thinking of this and a D600 (Body at $1219.99 New!) just to get me going.
http://www.42photo.com/pd-productid-...fgodOhUArw.htm

http://www.ibcart.com/details/digita...FQmCfgody2YABQ
I see the link you have for the lens is for 42nd St Photo.
Have you had good luck buying from them? A lot of reviews make this place out to be kinda shady.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:27 PM   #14

Quote:

Looks like next month I'll pick up a D600 with a mid range zoom. 25-70 2.8? Because Terry, my buddy, insists that I use his 17-35 until my next deal.

We'll see how it all pans out.
Good Luck, Ken.

But I think you meant the 24-70mm F2.8. A honey of a lens.

Zig

P.S. I agree with Wall-E on the subject of 42Photo.
B&H Photo, Adorama, KEH.Com, are better choices.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 3:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall-E View Post
I see the link you have for the lens is for 42nd St Photo.
Have you had good luck buying from them? A lot of reviews make this place out to be kinda shady.
No, I don't know these guys. I just used that as a sample of the pricing. If I were to think of them I would/will have done some consumer research first.

Thanks for the heads up though.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:02 AM   #16

Well I did it....with a couple of variations on lenses but I'm happy with what I have to start with. The New D600 $50 more the B&H and Adorama were asking for used. I picked up a used 18-35 3.5 and I've used it already on a house we've just listed. I'm really happy with the results from that. Not getting the 17-35 isn't a problem with home shots, I shoot in the f8 and up range. Bokoh isn't my goal. And they're as sharp as I like.

The other lens was a bit of a mystery. I ordered a used AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Seemed like an excellent price for a GP walkabout lens But when I came the bill was for $30 more and the lens was brand new unopened box and all? Still far below what I'd pay for some reconditioned lens. Normally I'd kick up shit at this sort of upsell but in reality I was quite pleased.

I took this lens out yesterday for it's first outing. The sun was shining and it was quite balmy, nice for a pleasant walk in the woods. The results...to me were quite pleasing, right through the focal range.

Here are a couple. Nothing special but I like the way they came out just sized down to post.

One thing, with it being 3.5-5.6 The DOF bokeh isn't quite as pleasing. Price, as always was the issue, but all in all I'm happy with what I have and happy I've moved over to Nikon.

1 Walked out to the car and felt someone behind me.

2 Madrone shedding a little?

3 Deep in the woods

4 Symbiosis

5 I cropped this one a little.

Lots of moss and ferns...... "Who's woods these are"
Attached Images

Last edited by Scouse; Mar 12, 2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 5:35 PM   #17

Congratulations Ken for the new camera and lens, I like what you posted and 1 and 4 are my favorites.

Love the rich colors and clear and crispy pictures.

Enjoy your new gear..!!

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:10 PM   #18

Thanks Marcello, still learning the camera. every thing is exactly opposite from what I'm used to. Even something as simple as attaching the lens is opposite.

Couple from a trip to Fort Casey last weekend.

The lighthouse there and one of the old light reflectors (It's really a work of art.) in the excellent museum
Attached Images

Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:26 AM   #19

Great captures Ken, lighthouses are my favorite subject to photograph and that one is a beautiful building.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:01 AM   #20

Thanks Marcelo. I used the 28-300 for a walk about lens and was pretty happy with it. These 2 were taken at 50 and 65mm, Slight barreling at 28mm but on the whole I can handle it.
I've shot a couple of homes now using the 18-35 with really good results.

Those 2 will keep me going for a while. Not perfect but quite satisfying.