Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:09 PM   #11

For a completely permanent (ie: non-removable) repair, yes, but there is normally not any force trying to pull these pieces apart, so the adhesion should be fully adequate. The rubber ring is probably just a friction fit on the trim ring, so may not even need an adhesive.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:07 AM   #12

VTphotog You're partially right. There doesn't seem to be any forces pulling them apart, but I've put it back on several times. Each time it comes back off in short order.

TCav I think it is mostly cosmetic, but I believe the metal ring acts as somewhat of a seal. Besides, the plastic edge that would be left exposed is not smooth.
WilliamTn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
... but there is normally not any force trying to pull these pieces apart, ...
There is a shear force at work than airplane glue would not withstand.

I think the best option is a few strategically positioned drops of a superglue like Loctite's Ultra Gel, which has increased shear strength over conventional superglues.

Last edited by TCav; Dec 18, 2014 at 9:40 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2014, 2:10 PM   #14

It may not matter now. Last week I was taking some pictures at a small stream near where I live when my camera went for a quick dip in the cold water. I think that I bumped the tripod when I was reaching for something.
Anyway I brought the camera home, removed the battery and memory card, and placed it in a bowl of rice and kept it between 85 - 100 degrees for a little over 24hrs. The camera seems to work - though I haven't taken any pictures with it. The lens however.... got quite a bit of water in it.
Most websites and forums that I can find say that the lens often cost as much to fix as to buy another one.
The zoom range has really suited me pretty well, although there have been a few times that I wished for a little more. I'm not sure the 18-140 is worth another $125+ dollars over the 105. Any thoughts?
...Any suggestions besides the 18-140 Nikkor?
WilliamTn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2014, 6:48 PM   #15

I'd stick with the 18-105. It's slightly sharper, and has less vignetting, distortion and chromatic aberration than the 18-140.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTn View Post
That was nice of them.... What did you replace it with?

This lens, and a 35mm 1.8 are the only two that I have.
The guy that borrowed it also has no money, arggh. I haven't replaced it.

I have a 28-105 D 3.5/4.5 that gets me by. Bought it a couple years ago in near mint condition for $150 on ebay. On a full frame camera it works OK as a walk around. Is best at about 40mm to 85 range. I wouldn't recommend it for a crop sensor camera.
Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.

Last edited by Franko170; Jan 15, 2015 at 11:41 PM.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote