Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 23, 2015, 6:46 PM   #1

Default All-purpose general use lens for D100

After 13 years of shooting medical photographs, I am replacing my D100 with a D7100. I am taking the D100 home for general use and would appreciate suggestions for a good general use zoom lens...doesn't have to be Nikkor but good quality a must.

Thanks!
pommehomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:04 AM   #2

As you can tell, the Nikon forum is a little slow. Maybe more folks will check in. I am a Sony camera owner, and have more lenses than I will use. I guess the old saying "it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" applies in my case. Sounds like you don't have that problem haha.

What will you be shooting primarily? That will go a long way in determining which lens or lenses you might want to look at. Personally, for 90% of my shooting, which is travel and grandkids and dogs, I use the Sony 18-135mm. I also have a Tamron 70-300 I use often to shoot macros with. I also have a Sony 50 f/1.4 I use for portraits and other near shots when I want the best quality and image. Those are the only lenses I use consistently, the others stay in a drawer.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2015, 3:44 AM   #3

The jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none lenses may have long zoom ranges, but they aren't as good as multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges. But since your D100 is only a 6MP camera, you might not notice the flaws except in extreme circumstances.

The Tamron 18-270 ($349 after rebate) is probably one of the best lenses of its kind, and reasonably priced, but the Sigma 17-70 ($399) is better for typical event shooting, low light shooting, and is more capable of close-up photography.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2015, 4:18 PM   #4
conor

I've heard some reasonable things about this little guy, especially for the money (presently $400USD at B&H).
I'm not sure if 17-70 f2.8-4 is enough zoom for you (I've never been much of a fan of really big zoom lenses. I'd prefer to have multiples with shorter ranges; reduce price / increase image quality), but I've always been happy with my Sigma glass.

Edit: Wow, I should have read the posts - TCav posted *exactly* the same lens... Great minds think alike, it would seem.

Last edited by conor; Jun 24, 2015 at 4:21 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:59 PM   #5

... it would seem.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 4:16 PM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I presently use the Tamron 18-270 mm as my all-purpose lens for the past 4 years and have been very pleased. I use it for everything from general family photography, travel (including hiking in the national parks) and aviation photography.

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:57 AM   #7

If you look look back at my previous posts you will see that I've always been a great fan of the Nikon 18 200mm. I still think it's a very good xample of it's genre probably the best imho.
However having looked at most walkabout lenses I have now moved on to the Panasonic FZ1000, which according to my tests out performs them all, sharpness , versatility, size, video capabilities miles better,
12 fps, and no worse in lowlight.
l know I've not answered your nikon question but it's just where I've finished up "if you want a walkabout set up forget DSLRs".
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:22 PM   #8

The Nikon 18-200 is an excellent example of what a jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none lens could be, but it's expensive and probably overkill for a D100.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 4:38 PM   #9

How about a Nikon 18-135mm f3.5-5.6?

You can pick one up used for ~$200. At least here in Canada you can.

And it, along with its replacement, the Nikon 18-140mm f3.5-5.6 are considered class leading by DXOMark.

I'm a big fan of starting with that lens. It gives you a wide range of zoom in one convenient single lens solution.

Which, IMHO, leaves you open to be more selective in picking your next lens. Maybe add a 35mm f1.8 or a 50mm f1.8. Or maybe a macro. But for those times you need wide or long, the 18-135mm can help you get out of those situations.

NOTE: I'm trying to capture the picture in my head! Not the one my camera sees!

Personal Flickr Favs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticd...7631300869284/
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote