Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 8, 2018, 4:36 PM   #11

Yep it really does suck esp as the 105 has WS and the 135 was only released a year or two ago doesn't. Obviously WS became a design requirement for the new lens but its odd that it wasn't for the older Arts. Its been fish weather all week and esp today where its been raining non stop and no way I'd be comfortable with a non WS lens even if its under cover.

Don't know anything about lens design and the manufacturing processes involved although I can imagine retro fitting the gaskets/seals to the existing design may not be feasible and could require a redesign. However they could easily fit a seal to the existing lenses mount like the Nikkor G's and provide a basic level of WS so moisture won't enter the camera via the mount.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:53 PM   #12

I had a little play with the 180 f2.8 @ a store with the D800. Def like the weight and size of the lens, the built in lens hood and that it doesnt look like a 72mm dia lens. Took a few sample pics but nothing worth posting as I wasnt allowed to test it outside the store- my shutter speed was totally wrong (way too slow) on a few indoor portraits so the images were not sharp @ ISO 1600 and teh outdoor shots were garbage as well - ended up taking some high contrast pics which had some really ugly purple fringing - thats something thet I never had to deal with when using the SHG.Easy enough to fix in LR but it was pretty full on. I need to get some more time with that lens so may hire it for a few days before buying.

The Sigma 135mm.. only a Canon mount in the store, so I couldn't try it on the D800 but that's one big, heavy and Id say intimidating bit of glass which def reminds me of the Zukio SHG's. I can see that being a bit of a pain to be lugging around unless its the only lens you take with you. Now that I've held the beastie in person there is no reason why that lump was not designed with WS from the get go and it made the 180 looks as if it was anorexia.

Last edited by HarjTT; Apr 18, 2018 at 12:56 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote