Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:31 PM   #1

Default Sigma 50mm, 135mm Art lenses and Nikkor 180mm f2.8

Anyone have experience of the 50mm Art compared to the 50mm G1.8? I like the size of the G1.8 and for the $$$ its excellent but I'm wondering how much of a step up in IQ (improved CA/purple fringing, distortion) will something like the 50mm Art be? I know the 50mm Art is bit of a beast and lacks the weatherproofing of even the G1.8.

I've been looking at the Nikkor 180 F2.8 possibly used - for shooting sports and may be some fashion. The size, build quality and the files look good and the reviews on the lens show its an excellent buy but its also an older design and I'm wondering whether Nikon will release an update or not ?

The Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - looks like its a bit of a beast - big and bulky and expensive but I've looked at some sample shots @ 1.8 and the files look excellent. Nice and sharp wide open and they remind me of the look you get from the Zukio 35-100F2 SHG. Wish they had made a F2 or 2.8 version of the 135mm to keep the size and bulk down. Wondering if you could use the 135mm for some sports?

Some sample shots with the Sigma 135mm Art and a Nikon D5 by Jared Polin.

https://froknowsphoto.com/sigma-135-quick-test/

Last edited by HarjTT; Mar 19, 2018 at 1:34 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:12 PM   #2

Hard,

I just noticed this question you asked a few days ago.

I had the Sigma 50mm Art and it is a beautiful and super sharp lens. The booked is very creamy but it is a little heavy lens. I noticed some CA also but very easy to correct with PS.

The Nikon 50mm 1.8 is a great lens and for the price yu can't go wrong with it. I use it all the time in my photoshoots.

Nikon 50mm 1.8

The Sigma 135mm f1.8 is heavy and bulky but it is super sharp, fast AF and amazing bokeh, almost comparable to the Nikon 200mm f2.0 and very similar to the Nikon 105mm 1.4.

Check some comparison shots I did a few months ago between the Sigma 135mm f1.8- Nikon 105mm 1.4 and Nikon 200mm f2.0

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1484875/0

Nikon 105mm 1.4

Sigma 135mm 1.8

Nikon 200mm f2.0

The Nikon 200mm f2 is the king, super fast AF, sharp and amazing booked.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:52 PM   #3

According to SLRGear.com, the Sigma 50/1.4 Art is sharper and has less chromatic aberration than the Nikon 50/1.8G but it has more vignetting.

According to SLRGear.com, the Sigma 135/1.8 Art focuses quickly, so it should be ok for sports, but for sports, do you really need f/1.8? Are you shooting indoor sports?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:34 AM   #4

Marcelo, Cav

Thanks for the replies and your thoughts on the lenses.

I like the size of the 50 1.8G and its a fine lens esp for the money but I just wish it was a wee bit sharper. I need to have a look at the Sigma in person and see how big it actually is.

I may just get the Nikkor 180 f2.8 possibly used as they can be picked up for 300+ although brand new I've seen it going for just over 600. I like the size, weight and that its weather sealed and if I can find one in excellent I think I'll get one. There were rumours of a replacement for the 180 a few years back as teh current 180 is an old design so is there a chance that a new faster focusing version is due ?

Cav, the Sigma 135.. I'm aiming to use it mainly for portraits but also the occasional sports inc indoors. The look of the files reminds me of the Oly SHGs which is why I've been thinking about that lens. Don't really need the F1.8 .. if they did an F2.8 I'd more than happy.

Marcelo, I had a look at the post comparing the Nikkor's and the Art .. the Nikkor's look warmer.. more pleasing compared to the Sigma. The bokeh of the 135 and the 200 look similar .. best of the bunch is the 105. Did you sort out the focusing on the Sigma and more importantly do you still have it.

The only thing with the ART lens is the lack of weather sealing that bugs me.. for the price and the quality of the glass you'd think weather sealing would be standard esp for here in the UK (same as the PNW) where its fish weather most of the year round. Don't want to be caught out in the rain with a non WS glass.. one thing I really like about the Zukios and the two Nikkors that I have.

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Apr 2, 2018 at 7:10 AM.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
The only thing with the ART lens is the lack of weather sealing that bugs me.. for the price and the quality of the glass you'd think weather sealing would be standard esp for here in the UK (same as the PNW) where its fish weather most of the year round. Don't want to be caught out in the rain with a non WS glass.. one thing I really like about the Zukios and the two Nikkors that I have.
Have you considered something like this:

http://www.lenscoat.com/raincoats-raincaps-c-34.html
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:39 PM   #6

Cav, thanks for the link .. I hadn't even thought about those .. with my Oly's the weather wasn't something I had to worry about.

Interesting that the new ART 105mm 1.4 looks to be the first Art to be labeled by Sigma to be weather sealed. Wonder if the other existing Art lenses will be updated or offered the upgrade ?

Last edited by HarjTT; Apr 2, 2018 at 7:10 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 5:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Marcelo, Cav

Thanks for the replies and your thoughts on the lenses.

I like the size of the 50 1.8G and its a fine lens esp for the money but I just wish it was a wee bit sharper. I need to have a look at the Sigma in person and see how big it actually is.

I may just get the Nikkor 180 f2.8 possibly used as they can be picked up for 300+ although brand new I've seen it going for just over 600. I like the size, weight and that its weather sealed and if I can find one in excellent I think I'll get one. There were rumours of a replacement for the 180 a few years back as teh current 180 is an old design so is there a chance that a new faster focusing version is due ?

Cav, the Sigma 135.. I'm aiming to use it mainly for portraits but also the occasional sports inc indoors. The look of the files reminds me of the Oly SHGs which is why I've been thinking about that lens. Don't really need the F1.8 .. if they did an F2.8 I'd more than happy.

Marcelo, I had a look at the post comparing the Nikkor's and the Art .. the Nikkor's look warmer.. more pleasing compared to the Sigma. The bokeh of the 135 and the 200 look similar .. best of the bunch is the 105. Did you sort out the focusing on the Sigma and more importantly do you still have it.

Harj
Harj,

I returned the lens and second copy was better, just needed a calibration in my camera of +7. I still have the lens.

The Nikon 180mm f2.8 is a super sharp lens, provably the sharpest lens I had the chance too use, you can find a used for a great price this days.

I didn't know the Sigma Art 105 is a weather sealed lens, that will nice be to have with the other art series lens. What call my attention was the picture of the lens posted at B&H, the lens comes with a lens collar? I can't understand why they will use a collar? the lens will be big and heavy?
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:30 PM   #8

Hi Marcelo

I've seen a couple of 180 f2.8s, either as

1. Mint/excellent @500+ so just a little over 100 full retail or
  2. good/good+ are going for 300
I need to check and decide on whether to risk it with a good+ and possibly get Nikon to service it or just buy new and get the warranty with it.

I've seen a couple of 135 Arts on the fleabay one mint 200 less than retail but the lack of warranty and possible focusing issues even with the dock thrown in tell me to just get new and take the hit in $$$. At least you can return a "bad" new one to the retailer. With the 2nd 135 that you kept are you still shooting with it ?

I was surprised as well about the 105 being fully weather sealed as their sports range. Its the only art lens to actual state that its sealed to that level. Here's the quote from the sigma site on the spec of the new lens:

"Like SIGMA’s Sports line lenses, the 105mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art features a highly effective dust-and splash-proof structure with special sealing at the mount connection (with exception of the Sigma mount), manual focus ring, cover connection, and other areas, allowing photographers to work in alltypes of weather. In addition, the front of the lens is protected by a water- and oil-repellent coating that makes cleaning easy. "

So that got me thinking.. will Sigma offer new versions of the existing Art lenses with the WS or will they offer a service to retrofit the seals if that's even possible ? Right now, I'm thinking of holding off on the 135mm incase there is a new version with WS, for its price it should have had it as standard.

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Apr 3, 2018 at 6:33 PM.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:58 AM   #9

Contacted Sigma UK to find out if the existing Art lenses inc the 135 would get WS in a future update and was advised to purchase a cover or not use a sigma art lens. Newer art lenses may get WS.

Here's the quote from SIGMA UK

"Hi Harjinder - we are sorry but we cannot confirm and are unaware of the future manufacturing plans of our parent company.
We believe current models will not be updated for weather sealing but there is the potential of future releases of new lenses/focal lengths to include it.
If weather sealing is important for a 135mm; we can only suggest purchasing the proper lens covers or opt not to use a SIGMA Art lenses"

Last edited by HarjTT; Apr 9, 2018 at 3:51 AM. Reason: Added the actual reply from Sigma UK
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Contacted Sigma UK to find out if the existing Art lenses inc the 135 would get WS in a future update and was advised to purchase a cover or not use a sigma art lens. Newer art lenses may get WS.
Well, that sucks.