Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 2, 2004, 3:01 AM   #11

As a (belated) update six months later: I got the D70 in June with the kits lens, Sigma APO Macro II 70-300 and Nikon 50/1.8. Definitely looking at moving up to either a 70-200 2.8 Sigma HSM or 80-200 Nikon (sounds like a friend might be able to swing me a good deal on the Nikon). This friend, a longtime photographer for a local paper, said he has two Sigmas but warned the 70-200 Sigma uses plastic instead of metal bearings (?) and as such the bearings wear out quicker than normal. I don't remember reading about this before, does anyone have more info. or links to discussions about this?
Also, for indoor sports I'm looking at getting a midrange 2.8 zoom. The Tamron 28-75 2.8 Cowboy and others mentioned is probably at the top of the list (buying one and then selling the 18-70 kit lens would basically be a wash), also used Nikon 35-70 2.8 and maybe a midrange Sigma 2.8 but I haven't come across much info about those.
Looking back now, I can't believe some of the lenses I was actually considering back then. :shock:
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 8:50 AM   #12
NHL

murphyc wrote:
Quote:
Definitely looking at moving up to either a 70-200 2.8 Sigma HSM or 80-200 Nikon (sounds like a friend might be able to swing me a good deal on the Nikon). This friend, a longtime photographer for a local paper, said he has two Sigmas but warned the 70-200 Sigma uses plastic instead of metal bearings (?) and as such the bearings wear out quicker than normal. I don't remember reading about this before, does anyone have more info. or links to discussions about this?
There's always folks ready to poopoo any Sigma lens... check it yourself! It's 100% metal and weight just like one:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...93&forum_id=65

The question to ask your friend is that 80-200 Nikon's a "Silent Drive"? The Sigma is: this HSM mechanism is both silent and faster than the older mechanical gear train. This ultrasonic drive allows full-time manual overide of the AF, just make sure that Nikon lens does it as well...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 11:10 AM   #13

I have two Sigma lenses, 28-80 f2.8, and 17-35. Although I like the lenses, they both exhibit quite a bit of barrel distortion at the extreme ends of the zoom range. The 17-35 shows quite a bit of perspective distortion when shooting at an angle (up/down or sideways) but I think most lenses show this characteristic. However, it is my opinion that perspective distortion is about 80% illusion. When you look up at a tall building, your eyes see the lines lean in but your brain straightens them out. The camera also sees the lines lean in but it doesn't straighten them. So... which is better, to straighten the lines and have it look right or leave them leaning as the camera and the eye actually see them. I don't know the answer.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 9:47 AM   #14

NHL wrote:
Quote:
murphyc wrote:
Quote:
Definitely looking at moving up to either a 70-200 2.8 Sigma HSM or 80-200 Nikon (sounds like a friend might be able to swing me a good deal on the Nikon). This friend, a longtime photographer for a local paper, said he has two Sigmas but warned the 70-200 Sigma uses plastic instead of metal bearings (?) and as such the bearings wear out quicker than normal. I don't remember reading about this before, does anyone have more info. or links to discussions about this?
There's always folks ready to poopoo any Sigma lens... check it yourself! It's 100% metal and weight just like one:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...93&forum_id=65

The question to ask your friend is that 80-200 Nikon's a "Silent Drive"? The Sigma is: this HSM mechanism is both silent and faster than the older mechanical gear train. This ultrasonic drive allows full-time manual overide of the AF, just make sure that Nikon lens does it as well...
Thanks for the link and the info, NHL. I hadn't heard of the problem with the Sigma and I'm waiting to hear more from my friend. I would be using the lens quite a bit, so a part that could wear out is obviously of concern.
The Nikon 80-200 would be the non AF-S version (i.e. the one that's around $800 right now). I would love the AF-S version but a) I believe it was replaced by the 70-200 2.8 with VR and b) even if a new one could be found, I think it's around $1,300 or so. I haven't used a 2.8 lens before; is the Nikon w/out AF-S a fast focuser? One main reason I liked the Sigma instead of the Nikon was the HSM, but I don't know how the Nikon is speedwise (in focusing) without AF-S when compared to the HSM Sigma.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 8:52 PM   #15

Here is a summary of some lens test reports in a Japanese photo magazine. It does not include every lens you listed; but, you can use this summary as a comparison:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=9891975

CK
shene is offline   Reply With Quote