Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Apr 24, 2004, 10:43 AM   #1

Default Lens hood???

Hey everyone, just got my nikon D70 with the kit lens. Included was a lens hood (the one with the blades)... when and why should I use it? I also bought a UV filter to protect the lens... good idea or not?
private is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2004, 8:23 PM   #2

Just got my D70 also, but without the kit lens. Seems for now its easier to just buy the body.I bought the Tamron SP 24 - 135 for an everyday lens and so far I really like it. A hood also came with it and I will probably use it mostly outside in bright sun.I'm sure there are other uses for it that I'm not familiar with.I also bought a UV filter to use with it. A $30.00 UV filter is a lot easier to replace than a $400.00 lens.
I hope your enjoying yours as much as I do mine.
I really can't believe the photos I'm getting. Especially from a hack like me. :shock:

Ray
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 9:44 PM   #3

so far I love this camera... best one yet in my collection!
Old Apr 25, 2004, 12:22 AM   #4

Manual says to use it always - except when using flash. With the built in flash, you will notice the shadow cast from the hood on the bottom of your images.

I had the hood on my lens all the time for the first week, then I got sick of the attention I got from surrounding people, so I leave it off most times. Doesn't make much of a difference unless you're shooting into the sun, where if you catch the light in the right angle it'll flare and wash out your pic.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2004, 9:57 AM   #5

I use the lens hood all of the time on my 70-200 and on my 500mm. It's a little bit more protection for the front element (which in the case of the 500 is plain glass anyway). I don't use a lens hood on my 28-105 or 200 Micro as they get in the way for macro shots and that's the main thing that I use them for.

I've never used a front objective filter yet but I may reconsider next time I'm working with ants.

Regards,
Graham.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 8:51 AM   #6

Thanks everyone, I've been using it most of the time now, indoor & outdoor, looks good too! Thanks!
Old May 3, 2004, 11:08 PM   #7

I use a clear UV/haze filter (B+W 010) on all my lenses, and their respective hoods. In my line of work (weddings) I bump into things a lot, and lenses get handled and mishandled, so anything that protects the front elements of my lenses is great. $40-80 filters are really cheap insurance for $$$$ lenses.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote