Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 4, 2004, 6:34 PM   #1

Since it seems many D70 shortages are due to not having enough kit lenses, and since the 18-70 when purchased with the camera is roughly the same price as the 24-85G, I wondered how these lenses compare head-to-head. I've read a number of positive comments on both, with the general consensus being they are both good for the price. I believe the aperature ratings are the same, and both have AF-S and ED (if that's incorrect, let me know). Obviously the 18-70 has the wide angle advantage, especially on the D70, and since I'm looking at getting a 70-300 G the 70-85 isn't that big of a deal to me. Has anyone done a direct comparison between these two lenses, especially in regards to focusing speed and sharpness? I would use wide angle some but nota whole lot. If that's the only advantage of the 18-70 I'm tempted to get a 24-85 so I can get a D70 sooner. TIA

Also, I was looking at getting the Sigma APO Super Macro II but it seems many places don't specify which version they carry (if they carry either) so it would be fairly easy to get the gold ring one instead of the correct red ring one. B&H for sure has the II version, but they show it being out of stock. By comparison, the Nikon 70-300G doesn't have the same amount of confusion, is carried at more places (at least judging by places I've looked at), and is cheaper by about $100. It just happens that $100 could be used to purchase a 50 1.8. :idea:
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2004, 7:42 PM   #2

Well, first part became moot (though I would still be interested to see a comparison) since Shutterbug in Oregon had a D70 with lens in stock. No sales tax, no shipping costs. Nice thing about getting the 18-70 lens is if I change my mind later and want a 24-85, I could get the 24-85 for about $300 and probably sell the 18-70 for at least that much. :idea:
Old Jun 6, 2004, 8:00 PM   #3

24-85 is more suited for film bodies (it's not DX, whereas the 18-70 is). IMO the 24-85 is like the "film version" and the 18-70 the "digital version". As when fitted respectively they have approximate equivalent zoom ranges (the 70 having slightly longer tele).

Both are about as cheap as you're likely to get for a AF-S series lens (aka. silent wave motor = very fast focusing). Since their lens construction are very similar: same no. of elements in same no. of groups,withsame no. of ED and aspheric elements, I would guess their optical qualities are not too discernable. Just check to make sure you're happy with the not so great field of view (36mm equivalent) of the 24-85 on a D70.

Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 5:58 PM   #4

Thanks, Onyx. I ended up getting the 18-70 with the D70. The camera was supposed to get here Tuesday, when I called Wednesday they said it was delayed since they had to wait for the lens filter. I really wanted it for this weekend so I could do plenty of experimenting during two days of racing, since I have a big three-day weekend of racing next weekend. I wanted to use this weekend as a good test session and find out what works and what doesn't on pictures that won't matter that much, now it looks like I'll have to make some educated guesses on camera settings next week.
Old Jun 12, 2004, 6:52 AM   #5

Well murphyc, if you're not sure about optimum camera settings, shoot RAW. Also, download Nikon View from their support site (much better than PictureProject packaged with the camera IMHO).
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote