Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jun 22, 2004, 1:09 PM   #1

Having ordered my F70, I have ordered the 70/200 VRIFED F2.8 plus 1.4 teleconverter. I had planned to order the 24/120 but to my horror find that it is actually 36/180 in old money when applied to a digital camera. Does this mean the 70/200 is actually 105/300?I had the old lens with my F90X and was satisfied. What should I, do you think, buy given that I am a fan of the wide angle facility? Should I stick with the lens supplied in the package kit, or buy the body and another lens? What others should I consider? I prefer larger apertures and am prepared to spend more to make the right choice. Having the 70/120 is fine, but I still feel that for everyday use I need 24 or 28 up to about 100 - 70 is a bit limiting. Of course, there is the teleconverter I can use on a shorter lens I suppose, but then I guess the wide angle is out the window! Choices, choices....... Help please? This is a damned confusing choice.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2004, 2:57 PM   #2

Effectively, the 70/200 will become a 105/300.

The kit lens (18/70)is a good buy and will give 27/105 in 35mm equivalent.

The teleconverter is really designed for the longer lenses. I dont think it is compatible with the kit lens.

Luc
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 9:44 AM   #3

I think you mean D70, not F70. F70 (or N70) is a film body.

If so, yes. There is a 1.5x crop factor involved when buying a lens, UNLESS the lens is of the DX series. Then the crop factor is already taken into account.

TC'sare not meant to be usedbe used with wide angles. The 1.4x TC may be compatible with the 70-200 though. It depends on the model of the TC. Check with your dealer to be sure.
JoeSlotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 11:12 AM   #4

JoeSlotz wrote:
Quote:
There is a 1.5x crop factor involved when buying a lens, UNLESS the lens is of the DX series. Then the crop factor is already taken into account.
Really? I didn't realize this. I thought all lenses were subject to the 1.5x crop factor. Learn something new everyday. :lol:
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 2:18 PM   #5

The 1.5x factor still apply even with the new DX series lenses.:roll:
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 11:56 AM   #6

I stand corrected. The DX series lenses get the 1.5x crop factor as well...MY BAD!
JoeSlotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 12:15 AM   #7

Thanks for the clarification. :-)
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 1:28 AM   #8

My favorite wide angle zoom is the Nikon AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8 ED-IF if you have it in the budget. Otherwise, go for the Nikon AF 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D ED-IF. These will give you a nice wide angle and are reasonably quick (the first lens being a very fast lens). You can't go wrong with either of these lenses.
sheckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 1:58 AM   #9

Thanks to you all. I managed to pick up a 2nd hand (!) the 17/55 F2.8 lens on Ebay, and I would recommend it to you all. Unlike the kit lens, which feels and is plastic, the 17/55 looks, feels and performs brilliantly. There is also a 12/25 for sale, but I felt that was too wide for most of my needs.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 7:55 AM   #10

The new Nikon 17-55mm DX is a great lens for nay Nikon DSLR, since it's a DX series lens, it will not work properly to any Nikon film SLR. Even though I have not seen any professional test done on the optical performance of this lens, but I have seen many amazing results from this lens, great zoom range for the DSLR also, heavy duty, super quality, built like a tank.

Before I purchase the D70, I had some of the Nikon lenses that I didn't have chance to use them for a long time. The Nikkor AF-S 28-70mm F/2.8, 35-70mmF/2.8, 80-200mm F/2.8 and the new 24-120mm VR which obtained through one of the trade deal several months ago. Feeling the need of the superwide zoom lens for the D70 and D100, I want to get the 17-55mm F/2.8 but it wasn't available at that time, I was on the long waiting list for this lens, I decide to purchase the new Sigma 17-35mm F/2.8-4 EX DG lens. This lens is also a super lens, very quality built, hevy duty and produce some super sharp pictures, the HSM works admirably to to provide super fast AF and behave just like the Nikon AF-S and the Canon USM. If anyone in need of this zoom range, you may want to take a look if your budget is a little bit tight.

Having said that, I still haven't make off the Nikon 17-55mm for my prospect lens list...I bought the D70 with the 18-80mm lens kit, but have not have chance to work on that lens much, but it looks like a very good quality lens to me...great for travel, even better if Nikon starts thinking to add the VR feature to it in the future.

I work on the D100 and D70 much more now-a-day and let my Canon 10D and those L zoom lens taking a vacation for a while. Nikon really did a great job to produce some of the great new lenses to compete with those famous Canon USL L glasses.

Cheers

Cheers

tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote