Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Jul 1, 2004, 2:24 AM   #1

Hi all,

I'm currently on holidays, looking at purchasing a decidedly non-pro zoom lens, and am looking at the Tamron 70-300 ED.

There is not a lot in the way of actual reviews available online, and while the lens has been mentioned in big lists of possible lens purchases, no-one seems to have really gone into detail about it.

I have heard that Maxwell's ( Nikon & Tamron distributer ) claims that it is a better lens than the Nikon 70-300 G ( non-ED ) and when I took some shots in store with my D70 I didn't notice any terrible CA or fringing. Obviously the auto-focus is going to be slower and noisier than the kit lens, but the price is certainly right.

I guess I'm guess looking for someone first-hand experience.

Thanks
PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2004, 3:01 AM   #2

Hey PW, Ken Rockwell reckons the Nikkor 70-300 has much in common with the Tamron that it might be made by them - in which caseit would be optically and functionally the same as the Nikkor.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70300af.htm

Youmight also like to investigate the Sigma 70-300 APO (it does close focusing for good macro, plus has 2 asperical elements in front and 1 at rear so theoretically it should be good optically).
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 10:06 AM   #3

Thanks Onyx,

I tried to see if I could find any local information on the Sigma 70-300 APO lens you mentioned but all I found was a lot of people complaining about an 'Error 99' problem with the Canon EOS 300D. It does sound like a better lens, with more ED glass than the Tamron, but if it's much more expensive and hard to come by then I guess I'll miss out.

Thanks
Old Jul 1, 2004, 1:43 PM   #4

I recently got the Sigma 70-300 APO Macro II for my D70, has worked out great. It's $209 at BH, less at other places like deltainternational. Keep in mind there are various 70-300 Sigmas with very similar names. The one I read many positive things about was the APO Super Macro Zoom II, I believe it's called. It has a red ring, the predecessor had a gold ring. Not the fastest focusing lens--volleyball pics last week were a chore--but it's been pretty good for racing. Only thing I noticed last week was as the temperature cooled around midnight, lot of dew/moisture on the lens. Not sure what that was all about.

Oh yeah, here's a pic of the lens:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...660&is=REG
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 12:15 AM   #5

While shopping for a flash today, I came across Camera House in Parramatta that had the Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 on sale at $AU249, from $279 - is that the approximate price of the unit you were looking for PlatinumWeaver? (I'm sure other Camera House stores would have the same thing).

The Sigma APO II is in a categorically different price range - $AU549ish.
Old Jul 2, 2004, 4:47 AM   #6

Damn - at the Camerahouse at Chernside in Brisbane I paid $259.. Still, within my pricerange where as the Sigma is not.

The way I see it, even if I just use this lens now while on holiday I can at least get more of an understanding as to what features are really important in a zoom lens of that length, then I can sell it ( if I need to ) when I get home and I will have paid less for the lens than I would have to have hired one for the same amount of time..

I've already noticed that the unsteadiness of my hands becomes -really- obvious at 300mm, but I've developed a cold as well and that is definately affected my balance, co-ordination and strength.
Old Jul 2, 2004, 9:58 AM   #7

Getting sick on a holiday is always a downer. :sad:Sorry dude.... Get well soon!

Old Jul 3, 2004, 11:14 AM   #8

there are 2 lenses in this category that you may want to consider:

Sigma 70-200 HSM F/2.8: a great performer....

Nikon AF-D 80-200 F/2.8 outstanding performer...

call that a good investment if you go that round...:!:

tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote