Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 31, 2004, 12:22 AM   #11

Good action shots, but it doesn't look to me as if you are using the lens at F2.8, more F8 judging by the depth of field. I think you will be surprised at the difference. Glad you like the lens though
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 5:35 AM   #12

I have the camera on auto. im new with this lens.

So how do i make it go to 2.8 ?Can i not use aauto and get that?

I have a lot to learn. Any suggestions?

I new something didnt seem right. thanks

help.........

wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 6:54 AM   #13

HI,

Use the aperture mode (A) instead of Auto.Then usethe dial (front one, but i am not sure) to change to aperture and the camera will adjust the shutter speed automatically.

Have fun.

Luc
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 7:26 PM   #14

ok I set it on A mode and now i understand what you mean, i new it could do better.

Thanks, i tried it on sports mode too those seemed not as clear. but it may have been me.

check this one out see what you think , i was just playing around trying it on A mode

http://www.pbase.com/image/33266352
Old Sep 1, 2004, 7:17 AM   #15

Well...I will need to save money for a F2.8 lens
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 11:57 AM   #16

I like it so far so good, when i used it hand held the other day at the footbll games,

my hand didnt get tired like i thought it would and its not too big really.

wish me luck people .............

thanks
Old Sep 5, 2004, 11:21 PM   #17

OK i tried to set my settings on the sigma 70-200 on "A" mode and use the 2.8 settings ,well my action shots were blurry , im not sure if i was using it right.

I just couldnt get it too focus fast and i thought i was taken ok shots but they were blurry when i looked closer.

It wasnt working well, so i went back to using the Auto , which is was very sunny, so they did really good, auto seems to focus alot faster and better.

But im still learning with this lens, i still love it, wish it had a little more zoom sometimes.

So if anyone has any ideas please help me....

Thanks
Old Sep 8, 2004, 2:25 PM   #18

Something strange here. If you were using aperture priority at F2.8 on a sunny day, then the shutter speed must have been pretty fast - at least 1000th of a second. However, if you mean by "blurry" that the subject matter was in focus but the backdrop was out of focus, that is what is called "bokeh" and why we buy F2.8 lenses. Or perhaps you were using the wrong matrix setting so the background was in focus and the subject matter out of focus. The camera had focused on the background and not the objective. For sport usage, set the matrix setting to spot and not weighted.

By using a program you are defeating the art of photography which is to create not take snaps. Auto will usually use F8 - F11 sothe depth of field is much greater rthan with F2.8- review the photos on the camera screen and press left on the back control to see what the settings were.

Persevere with the aperture priority or the shutter priority - one is the inverse of the other so it doesn't matter. If F2.8 requires 1000th in aperture priority then 1000th in shutter priority requires F2.8 aperture! Simple isn't it!
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 9:45 PM   #19

Ive been practicing more with the settings trying to use the 2.8 with the A program setting, which ive had some great photos come out. I know im just a rookie at this thats why im asking questions on here.

you wrote:By using a program you are defeating the art of photography which is to create not take snaps

why would i be defeating it ? im just learning and someone said to use it im trying it and other settings. This is my first lens like this. tell me how not to defeat it.

The focus was sometimes wrong i think cuz the settings i had it on. Or me maybe.

ok here are the settings on the area mode -single area, dynamic area, closest sub.

I know all this may sound dumb to some, but im just learning here.

Ive tried taking it in the sports mode with mostly closest sub, and dynamic area, also those modes in the A program mode.

Im getting a lot better shots (these are all action shots by the way) football.

I know i can change more things and adjust this or that, remember im trying.

anyway thanks

Old Sep 21, 2004, 1:28 PM   #20

sorry to jump in but im considering the d70 so was wondering about the lenses

considering lenses, im looking for roughly 400mm, but with the 1.5x factor 300mm lens would roughly be 450? i will be shooting outside mostly, so im wondering what (f) i will need? im looking for a nice big zoom, but i see these have like a 4-6 f (is this to low?)
JoeB_UK is offline   Reply With Quote