Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Aug 6, 2004, 5:47 AM   #1

Just a quick question if anyone can answer ....

What is the difference except price on these two lenses?

These two lenses on the same site say they both have the same thing, but

they arent the same lens

Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX APO IF HSM Lens for Nikon AF

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...&catid=289

Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX APO AF Nikon (says it has the HSM too)

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...=289&store=

Which one is the one on the sigma site? When you click to open either one, they both link to the same lens as if it where one.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/html/zoom_intro.htm

wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2004, 9:29 PM   #2

If anyone can help im buying one of these this weekend so if you have any info. please share ........:?:?
Old Aug 6, 2004, 10:00 PM   #3

Well i looked at all the links and I must say I am a bit confussed my self.. Maybe the cheaper one is push pull zoom Vs. a twist I dunno.. Grey market? Call sigma and find out.. Good luck Dale
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2004, 10:58 PM   #4

thanks,

it has both on the sigma site, but when you click on either one , only one lens comes up really strange. ill try to call sigma, i emailed that site , but havent herd anything yet.

the strange thing is those two lenses are different, the weight is diff, length..

so which one is newer or better that is the question

that helps a little more

Old Aug 7, 2004, 8:10 AM   #5

Hi:

The difference is one hasthe hyper sonic motor(HSM) meaning the lens motor is quiet (product code 566), the other (product code 567) does not. Both lenses have internal focus (IF) meaning the lens does not physically extendor retract when it focuses. It only extends and retracts when you turn the zoom ring. In case you haven't seen it, here is a link to Sigma's lens chart. http://www.sigma-photo.com/html/lenschart.htm. Notice the 70-200 has 2 product codes - 567/566. The description reads 70-200mm F2.8 EX APO IF / APO IF HSM. Henceproduct code 566 is theHSM version and product code 567 isnon HSM.So it appears the descriptions/specifications on e-tronics.com website are not quite accurate. These are good prices and it's strange the HSM version is less expensive, so it probably is a good idea to verify before you purchase.

By the way I had this lens (HSM version) and it performed very well but I returned it because it was too heavy. I bought the 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF Zoom-Nikkor and am very happy with the results. The biggest difference between the two other than size, weight and price isNikon's (slower) f/3.5-5.6 vs. the fast f/2.8 on the sigma.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
tksuther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 1:46 PM   #6

that helps alot ! thanks

yeah the HSM was kinda confusing , they both said they had it, thats why i wasnt sure.

I hope its not too heavy , but i need something fast for sports indoor and outdoor, and with at least that zoom.

This is my first pro camera so im a rookie at this stuff, ive taken digital for almost 6 years.

im hoping to order one this weekend, i may go up to our local camera shop and see if they have any to try out.

thanks so much !
Old Aug 8, 2004, 4:37 AM   #7

Perhaps this is not a useful answer because of the cost, but on considering a lens of thissize myself, I read up a lot on the VR Nikon lens, and since it was mostly to be used for motor racing and action sport, I dug deep and went for the more expensive lens. Like you, I had considered the Sigma, but the Vibration Reduction, which eliminates blur, has proved to be exceptional. Reporting for Jaguar magazines, the definition and ease of use has astounded me, and never a bad shot, except when I didn't pan fast enough and only got half the car! But that is my fault, not the camera or lens. I don't find the lens at all heavy and with the D70 is well balanced.

An interesting question btw.Will the TC14E work with the Sigma? I have it and find it exceptional with the Nikon 70/200VRIFED. You might find you will need it depending on the action photography you envisage, and in that case, if it won't work, you will be a bit stuck.

Whatever, best of luck
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 1:47 AM   #8

I would rather prob. have the Nikon VR because of the vibration Red.

But i think its a bit more prob. i just dont know what to do and football

starts up on the 21st at least the first game.

How is the Nikon VR on inside low lit gyms? (basketball is next lol)

So where is a good price on one?

im used to my Olympus E100RS which i know isnt pro. but it does have a stabalization built in. but i think ill be ok im used to shooting sports and knowing

when to get the action. i love the D70 just havent got to shoot with a big zoom yet.

:roll::?.......... still thinking and not totally sure on which one....... only have around

900.00 at the most right now,maybe could have more on the 20th i guess one game wouldnt hurt to miss zoom shots. ........will see
Old Aug 9, 2004, 4:28 AM   #9

There is a world of difference between the VR and the other lenses. As regards low light shooting, all you have to do is adjust the ISO rating to compensate, and as long as you are not planning massive enlargement photos you'll be alright. I shot a number of motor racing shots at sunset with good results. It is, after all, F2.8 at 200 as well as 70, which it is why it is an expensive lens - best price around $1250 on Ebay. Secondly, if you need to push the lens further, and need the TC14E or greater, then I refer to my previous post. I can only reitierate that if you can afford it go for the Nikkor lens - you won't regret it.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2004, 9:04 AM   #10

same lens, nothing difference. In the early production of this lens, the HSM is only available for Sigma and Canon mounts, at that time, HSM is not available for Nikon mount. Be-sure to check with Sigma to see if the new version include the HSM for Nikon mount or not?...

Here are the few benefits of HSM for Nikon mount:

AF is much faster and silence (equivalent to Nikon AF-S and Canon USM)

allows you to switch instantly from AF to MF without changing the switch on the camera body ( keep shutter button half way down and turn the manual focusing ring then shoot)

tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote