Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Sep 1, 2004, 12:23 PM   #1

My husband has decided to get me a long zoom lens, but not real sure which one to get me or which ones are the best. And unfortunately neither do I. What I basically need is something I can use both indoor and outdoor. Will be taking pictures of karate tournaments and football games. Can anybody help me?
alphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2004, 12:58 PM   #2

look here may help

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=66
wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 1:20 PM   #3

wvyankeegurl wrote:

K, thanks. :-)
Old Sep 1, 2004, 9:02 PM   #4

I think the key word here is inexpensive. How much are you and your husband willing to spend? I think, for the type of use you are talking about, it isn't going to be inexpensive. Maybe my idea of inexpensive is different than yours. :?:

Ray
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 12:05 AM   #5

The price weare currently looking at is $200 or lower. I know you can't really get great quality or anything at all. I just need more zoom then I already have with the kit lens.

Old Sep 2, 2004, 12:22 AM   #6

I baught a promaster made by tamaron for around that its a 70-300 lens , after i got used to it i really like it, but not sure how they will do inside yet.
wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 11:19 AM   #7

I have the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Zoom Macro Super II lens. For the money I think it is a good quality lens.I bought my lens at B&H.
Check these two sites.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=163660&is=REG

http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelel

I personally think this is a very good lens for the money and it is within your budget.
I took this photo with this same lens.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...51&forum_id=11
That was also taken with a D70.
For action and low light stuff you really need a 2.8 lens, and they start around $800.00 for Sigma. For the image stabilized lenses they are quite a bit more.(I wish I could afford one.)
Have Fun!

Ray
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 5:45 PM   #8

Thanks a lot. I'll tell the husband. :-)
Old Sep 2, 2004, 6:01 PM   #9
Administrator

The words "inexpensive", "long zoom", "indoor", and "karate tournaments" don't go together.

You need a bright lens, period. The slower f/4-5.6lenses just won't cut it. Remember, f/2.8 is twice as bright as f/4.0; and 4 times as bright as f/5.6. If you go with anything less than f/2.8, you're going to get blur from slower shutter speeds indoors (and you'll still need to bump up your ISO speed, even at f/2.8 )

About the least expensive you'll find is the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX APO IF HSM for around $799 discounted. As others have already pointed out, you *need* f/2.8 or better (throughout the focal range) for indoor shooting (and even then, all of your photos may not be "keepers").
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 4:16 AM   #10

For a budget of $200, I second EasyRay's suggestion of the Sigma 70-300 APO Macro Zoom II. That's what I've been using with my D70 and it's been good when I've stayed within its limitations. As EasyRay and JimC pointed out, however, to do some of the events you're talking about, a 2.8 lens becomes necessary. I'm also looking at needing to upgrade, especially if I get asked to cover sports like VBall, basketball and football here in the coming months.
One factor to consider is how close will you be able to get? If you're able to get on the floor for karate, you might be able to get away with a 50/1.8 for $100, and just crop the pics. If you're able to get somewhat close, you could get the Tamron 28-75/2.8 Di for about $300 or so. I've been contemplating trading my 18-70 for the 28-75 since I don't really use the 18-28 part of the lens much, having a touch more reach would be a fair tradoff, and having a 2.8 would make the lens more useful for sure. I shot adult swim lessons the other night, ended up using my 50/1.8 the whole time and it worked out pretty well. Would have prefered using a zoom, but that would have meant f-stop around 4 or worse if zoomed hardly at all.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote