Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Sep 15, 2004, 3:20 PM   #1
maw

I'm considering the Nikon 70-200 VR and teleconverter issue as well. I also have the Nikon 105mm macro with my D70 camera body & SB-800 flash. I know Tamron and Kenko have some "Pro" Teleconverters. Will these work with 70-200VR & 105mm macro lenses & SB-800 flash? How does the image quality (corner focus) compare to the Nikon TC-II series. I know "why would anyone put cheap glass" in with the Nikon lenses, but I think these might be good teleconverters. Anyway just fishing for a good deal on teleconverters!!

TIA,

Mike

maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2004, 1:43 AM   #2

I have heard good reports about the Sigma teleconverters, but have no personal experience. However I do use the TC14E with the 70/200VRIFED for motor racing and find the results incredibly good, even after cropping. I looked on the internet (where I bought my TC14) and the prices are down to $350 now, so with the expensive lens in front of it I wouldn't risk it personally. Perhaps we all get caught up though in tests and reports and forget that most of us either only view on screen or print up to A4 size so the difference won't be visible. I hope someone does answer with a cheaper brand converter - it will be interesting to hear an opinion.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2004, 1:54 AM   #3

And here is a shot I took using the two together in much of a haste I might add - I had no idea there was a flypast planned. I just hope that I have played correctly to get a good image given the pixel constraints! I certainly have no worries over the original at all
Attached Images

Old Sep 16, 2004, 1:01 PM   #4
maw

Thanks,

Others as well have indicated that the TC-14II and the 70-200 VR work very well togther...looks like it's a winner just wish it was a little less costly!!! That is an interesting image you have, are the two outer planes Spitfires by any chance?

Regards,

Mike

maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 8:19 PM   #5

I have a tamron and the nikon, both are 2x the nikon willAF on both,cameras the d-100 and my d2h... but the tamron will only af with the d2h.. unless I use a Tamron lens on it, then it will af oooon the 100..don't no about the 70 better check it out before you buy... Remember you will loose 2 stops generally with the converter so it has got to be bright lighting for the af to work.. Good luuck Dale
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 12:01 PM   #6

Sorry for the delay! I was at the Goodwood Revival classic car meeting, and as I arrived they flew over so I had no time for exposure readings or such. It is a Lancaster flanked by two Spitfires. I used the 70/200 at 200 plus the TC14E. You will only lose one stop with this converter, 2 with the TC17E and 3 with the TC20E. I am more than happy with the 14E since even with cropping the results are superb.