Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Sep 24, 2004, 9:16 PM   #1

I got lucky today , i send high school and youth league sports to our little local papers and the guy i know puts them in all the time for me. Well i told him we were going to the WVU football game sat. he said he wasn't going and ask me if i wanted his field pass to go down on the sidelines and take pictures.

well........ yeaha ..........

how cool is that.

anyway i hope i can get some good shots, im still getting used to this lens and camera, Nikon D70 and the sigma 70-200 f2.8 hsm.

ok anyone with any tips for settings or just any tips would greatly appreciated.

wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2004, 9:56 PM   #2

wow! that's awesome!

only thing i know about sports photography...it's kinda obvious...but important

Bring a Tripod!!!!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 7:32 AM   #3

well i wont be having one. But i take sports shots all the time thats all i take.

Just getting used to this lens and camera though.

But thanx, hope everything goes well wish me luck!
Old Sep 27, 2004, 8:43 AM   #4

Now that was an experience !

I was so nervous down there on the field.

Everyone was really nice , at first i was telling people if i got in there way

tell me , cuz it was my first time down there, they would tell me to just to make sure I got my shot, dont worry about it. There was a lot of people down on the field.

But anyway it was really neat and i had fun.

Tell me what you think, remember ive only had this camera about a month.

Just learning settings. They turned out really good for me i think.

thanks!

http://www.pbase.com/yankees/04_wvu_&page=1

Old Sep 27, 2004, 2:28 PM   #5

I had a look at the shots, and it would be interesting to know what settings you used. Looking at them I am wondering if you used the "sport" automatic mode, since there is a big depth of field. DSC 5929 is one with the background blurred, making the subject stand out, which is what we all want in these situations. The background is just clutter which distracts our eyes from the principal subject.

I appreciate it is difficult when starting out, but I would try and use either shutter or aperture priority to regulate the problem. You need to get the aperture as wide open as possible to create the blur behind the subject matter, and photographing football I reckon 1/125th would achieve that handsomely. I tend to use aperture priority because I find the thumbwheel behind the camera is easier to operate than that in front (which sets the shutter speed) and constantly change the aperture according to the metering so that the speed is right. Not one of my best shots, but one I took this weekend explains the principle - I wanted toshow an element of speedbut keep the background blurred. It all comes with practice I guess. Keep it going, and show us the next set of shots. I am sure you will learn very quickly!
Attached Images

cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 10:19 PM   #6

I'm thinking yankee did use Shutter priority, at least on some of the shots, since the exif data on a number of shots says f2.8.
Good shots, my question would be if you were allowed to move around the sidelines much. I've done a couple of local (JV level) football games this fall (first time since the handful I did in 1999) and I tend to move with the team I'm following. Basically I try to be about 20 yards in front of them and wait for either a passing play to my side or a run to my side. With college level I don't know what the general rule of thumb is in regards to how far ahead to be.
The reason I bring that up is it looks like you're behind the line of scrimmage.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 11:00 PM   #7

Yeah i tried different settings , im learning more each time i take shots.

Down on the field there is a white dotted line about 3-4 feet off the out of bounds line all the way around the whole field. You can go anywhere around the field as long as you stay behind the line, but i saw some going over sometimes. Just cant go where the players are standing in this boxed in area.

I was so nervous i stayed on the same side the whole time,lol

I should have went down on the other side when they did , but i was just too nervous. It was kinda scary at first not knowing a sole. I talked to some, that helped. Asked questions about the rules and such. It was so neat !

Thanks!!!!!