Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 23, 2004, 1:29 AM   #11

So Hyper Sonic Motor AF drive, on Sigma...equates to AFS on Nikkor??

Is 2 rings better than one, on the Nikkor. I'm finding alot of single ring Nikkors. I'm guessing this is older technology...w/o the "S" feature.

So I'm thinking...not worth it...buy AFS or HSM.

Does this sound right?
brandofamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 6:13 AM   #12
NHL

brandofamily wrote:
Quote:
... Does this sound right?
That's right... in fact you should not 'hear' anything from the AF-S or HSM, they silently pop into focus much faster than the noisy mechanical AF gear train of older lenses...
-> The added bonus with the HSM or AF-S is the full-time manual overide which you can perform by just twisting the focusing ring without having to change the AF/M mode switch first

BTW older Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX did come in non-HSM version for Nikon mount, which are slower, so be careful to get the latest 'HSM' lens only if you want to compare :blah:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...13&forum_id=66

Folks just love to poo-poo the Sigma's: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/138012
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 3:19 AM   #13

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
Make very sure You are buying "D" Len's. Most functions on Your D70 will work with the "D" lens but If You are wanting to use the "I" feature for Your TTL You need a DX lens. Read Your Manual. It will tell You what Len's to use if You want everything the D70 is capable of doing automatically.
Sorry, but that's erroneous. Read Your Manual.
Chris Combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 3:21 AM   #14

For what it's worth, I just picked up a 70-200/2.8 HSM from KEH and it's got a bit of a focusing problem; after 10-15sec of continuous focusing, the lens CPU seems to shut off - F-- displayed in viewfinder, just as if a non-CPU lens were attached - but resumes normal focusing if the camera is power-cycled or the meter auto-offs. I imagine that's a problem with this particular one, though; hopefully KEH can fix it.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 3:28 AM   #15

Dervical wrote:
Quote:
There are 4 versions of the Nikon 80-200. First was a push/pull zoom and focus. There was one ring, you turned it to focus,a nd pushed and/or pulled to zoom in and out. Second was the 2 touch. Came with two rings, one for zoom, the otehr for focus. Third was also 2 touch, but was Silent Wave. Third, is still 2 touch and Silent Wave, but also VR.

The sigma is close to the original two touch in focusing speed, but the afs beats it hands down. The Nikon is also better weather sealed, and just plain built better. Get one, and you will never have a problem with it. If you don't need the vr, just get the afs version.

Mike
The speed of the Sigma should be faster than the Nikon 80-200 in question, since based on the info. in the original post it appears the non-AFS version is being talked about. The AF-S version costs notably more than the Sigma. With the D70, the HSM in the Sigma will be helpful. With a faster body (i.e. D1 or D2 series) I imagine the speed of HSM wouldn't be as necessary, correct?
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 3:31 AM   #16

murphyc wrote:
Quote:
Dervical wrote:

The speed of the Sigma should be faster than the Nikon 80-200 in question, since based on the info. in the original post it appears the non-AFS version is being talked about. The AF-S version costs notably more than the Sigma. With the D70, the HSM in the Sigma will be helpful. With a faster body (i.e. D1 or D2 series) I imagine the speed of HSM wouldn't be as necessary, correct?
To some extent, yes - the CAM-1300 and CAM-2000 cameras also seem to have beefier AF motors - but the noise is a very real concern for photojournalists, or those aspiring thereof. You've already got the intimidating size to deal with; a loud WREE-WREEEEEEEE doesn't help matters much. I'd imagine that bird photogs might be in the same boat.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 9:20 PM   #17

From the research I've done, I am still confused about how fast the Nikon 80-200 (non AF-S version, I'm talking the one for about $700 with the current rebate) focuses. I've read everything from "it's 80% as fast in focusing as the AF-S" to "it's real slow". There seems to be quite a bit of conflicting information about the focusing speed. Would the 80-200 AFD be fast enough for sports or not? Lens would usually be used on a D1H, sometimes on a D70. I was ready to buy the Sigma but the rebates on the Nikon are tempting, especially when you consider build quality and resale value.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 9:32 PM   #18

There are multiple versions of the 80-200/2.8 (non AF-S). The current, two-ring lens focuses 80% as fast as the AF-S. The older, one-ring, push-pull lens is quite a lot slower.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 1:28 AM   #19

I have the Nikon D70 and the sigma 70-200 F2.8 HSM . I really love mine.

I didnt relize how fast it was til i used my first lens a promaster i think 70-300.

It was very slow on focusing , so i quickly used my sigma, this is a football game by the way need speed.

Im still a rookie but love it . here are some shots indoor youth bball

http://www.pbase.com/yankees/nikon_d...d_flash_indoor

wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 2:27 PM   #20

Chris--
Yeah, I was talking about the 80-200 D AF non AF-S version, the one currently costing $700 after the $200 rebate. A couple of photographers at the local paper told me over the weekend the lens would be fast enough for sports. I figure I could get it now with the rebate, and if I decide it's not fast enough I could resell it after the rebate period is over (hence when new examples are $800 or more again) and make my money back if not more, then get the Sigma.