Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 18, 2004, 6:26 PM   #1

I've found both at resonable prices. The Sigma is about $75 more. I talked to one 2nd hand dealer and he said Sigma quality control can sometimes besuspect. Any truth to this that anyone has heard? I'm leaning towards the Sigma since the kit lens for my new D70 is 18-70 and the 70-200 fills in where the other leaves off. Nikkor 70-200's seem much more expensive too.
brandofamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2004, 1:46 PM   #2

Make very sure You are buying "D" Len's. Most functions on Your D70 will work with the "D" lens but If You are wanting to use the "I" feature for Your TTL You need a DX lens. Read Your Manual. It will tell You what Len's to use if You want everything the D70 is capable of doing automatically.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 5:31 PM   #3

I assume EX is newer than DX. Yes? Iknoe little to nothing about lenses.

""I" feature for Your TTL " ??? I guess reading more of the manuel will tech me about this.

Any opinion on which one is better....the Sigma or Nikon?

Thanks
Old Oct 19, 2004, 5:48 PM   #4
NHL

FYI

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/html/lenschart.htm
It does not have to be EX, which is their professional line of lenses!

Quote:
D = Distance Information Function for Minolta or Nikon
ie most Sigma lenses if not all will provide the distance info to the camera. The Sigma 70-200 F/2.8 is also 'HSM' which is their silent ultrasonic drive with full-time manual overide of the AF. The Nikon equivalent is AF-S...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 6:01 PM   #5

OK...I checked out the chart. Maybe you can help with this. I'm thinking the "N" column is Nikon. Right? A "D" in the column is what Ronnie was talking about, right? Distance information function? I really do not know what this is, but I'm new to this and I guess I can read up on it. But if I need it the lense 70-200mm f2.8 EX APO IF HSM
says Corresponding
AF HSM Mount:
Sigma SA, Nikon (D), Canon

so I'm guessing this is what I wnat.

Old Oct 19, 2004, 6:04 PM   #6
NHL

That's correct!

"H = Hyper Sonic Motor AF drive", the silent ultrasonic drive which Nikon call AF-S

DX on Nikon just means that the particular lens is designed for a smaller cropped camera such as a D70. ie you can not use a DX lens on a full-frame!
Old Oct 19, 2004, 6:10 PM   #7

Thanks. I found the "H" right after I sent the last post, so I deleted that part. So EX is designed for film camera but will work fine on the D70 (ie. digital)

Thanks.

Any opinion on which to chose. Sigma 70-200, to compliment the kit lens on the D70, or Nikon 80-200. Both have same technology other than range. Sigma is $100-$125 more, but probably new as opposed to used.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 8:54 PM   #8
NHL

Does the Nikkor 80-200 have the faster Silent Wave motor or how about the full-time manual focus overide of the AF like on the Sigma's HSM?

Old Oct 19, 2004, 9:56 PM   #9

Good questions. I'll have to look into that.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Anthony
Old Oct 20, 2004, 6:04 PM   #10

There are 4 versions of the Nikon 80-200. First was a push/pull zoom and focus. There was one ring, you turned it to focus,a nd pushed and/or pulled to zoom in and out. Second was the 2 touch. Came with two rings, one for zoom, the otehr for focus. Third was also 2 touch, but was Silent Wave. Third, is still 2 touch and Silent Wave, but also VR.

The sigma is close to the original two touch in focusing speed, but the afs beats it hands down. The Nikon is also better weather sealed, and just plain built better. Get one, and you will never have a problem with it. If you don't need the vr, just get the afs version.

Mike
Dervical is offline   Reply With Quote