Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Oct 22, 2004, 11:53 PM   #1

It's been suggested that I need a f2.8 lens for shooting my sport photos and my daughter's dance performances inside. (No flash allowed.) So I'm looking for a Sigma 70-200 f2.8. Then I saw a Nikkor 85 f1.8 on the Nikon web site. Would this be of any benifit. The 1.8 was around $300, new. While the 2.8 is $650-$800 used or new.

Would I need to be right "in the action" to get any close up shots with the 1.8? I was just thinking if 2.8 is good. Maybe 1.8 is better. The 1.8 isn't 1.8 throughout though...is it?

Anthony
brandofamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2004, 11:10 AM   #2

Anthony,
it all depends on how close you can get to your subject. If 85mm is enough, then this is a great and affordable choise, but if you are further away from your subject, you need the longer focal lens of the 70-200mm zoom lens.

However, shooting handheld at 200mm requires at least 1/250, whereas the 85mm only requires 1/125. If you combine that with the 1.8 vs. 2.8, the 85mm/1.8 combination is over 2 stops faster that 200mm/2.8 combination. I a dim light situation, this might allow you to take a picture at all.

Michael
PS: I do own the 85/1.8 and I like it and it would try it first.

Michael
Bambus5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 6:59 PM   #3

How close would you say is "close"? I know I can crop after using a larger format picture too.
Is this a variable apature lens or constant 1.8? Is the lens set at 85mm or does it zoom in and out as the 70-200 would. I hate to ask thesae questions, but the Nikon site has basically no info. that teaches me anything. I'm thinking of using this lens for taking pics from court side of basketball and at side lines of baseball. I'd like to use it in theater settings, low light (stage lighting though) w/o flash, but I'm not sure how close I'd need to be.

Anthony

Old Oct 23, 2004, 9:54 PM   #4
NHL

F/1.8 is better than f/2.8 in the sense that they collect more light for available light photography... See the other thread for the better definition
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...226&forum_id=9

However it also comes at a shallower Depht Of Field (DOF). This is good if you try to shoot a portrait when you want to isolate a sharp subject face against a shallow background, but not very good when you try to shoot a team of players where you want several persons to be in focus at the same time! :?

-> Either crank up the ISO or use flash to get more DOF with larger f/number!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 8:13 PM   #5

The Nikkor 85 f1.8 has a fixed focal length of 85mm. It is not a zoom lens. This is considered a "portrait" lens and would be mostly unsuitable for your needs.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 9:11 PM   #6

Thanks Lucky. Your info is very helpful. I guess I'll pass on this option.

Anthony