Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 2, 2004, 8:48 PM   #1

OK, done to death, but I did my own comparison this past weekend and I thought I'd leave my impressions here. Went to a local camera shop and asked if I could give both a try.

I started with the 1.8. I forgot to look and see if it was a "D". Put it on my trusty D70, lined the spousal unit up in some fairly decent light and took 2 shots, one with and one without on board flash.

I then did the same with the 1.4. Yikes, it wouldn't focus. I figured it was damaged goods. Now I was spot metering and the spot was on the neck of my (shy, hence no pictures) wife. This was the same spot as on the 1.8, and it jumped into perfect focus.

We (store people and I) tried some other shots. A contrasty box came right into focus. So, I gave it another go on my comparison object (the aformentioned shy person). Spot metering on the neck (low contrast) would not focus, but metering on the face would. Anyway, I got the shot, but I'm not impressed.

The proof is in the printing, so I printed the shots. The 1.8 is VERY sharp. I would not really like this lens (bare)for portraits of the lassies. They would consider it a little too truthful, if you know what I mean. The 1.4 was softer. More flattering for a female portrait, but that's not the only use. Of course, add a soft focus filter and the 1.8 would be just fine. Or post process.

To be honest, while the 1.4 gives the 2/3 stop advantage, I can compensate for the sharpness of the 1.8, and it's available when I want it. Also, I really didn't like the hesitation that the 1.4 had focusing.

Like I said, I don't know if the 1.8 was the "D" model, but it was about $110, while the 1.4 was a skosh over $300. I'm sure better prices can be had on both, but that's still a $200 diff with most of the advantages on the cheaper lens. I figure the 1.8 will be under the tree, come Christmas.

Cheers,

Eric
erichlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2004, 3:23 AM   #2

"D" only matters if you are using on-camera TTL flash. (or D-TTL, or iTTL, or what have you.)
Chris Combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 3:33 AM   #3

Look at it this way: that $200 you saved by getting the 1.8 instead of 1.4 can go towards another lens, flash, etc....
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 3:36 AM   #4

murphyc wrote:
Quote:
Look at it this way: that $200 you saved by getting the 1.8 instead of 1.4 can go towards another lens, flash, etc....
Hell, use it to pick up the 35/2, and have yourself a reasonable imitation of the film 50mm at just a third stop less light...
Chris Combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 12:58 AM   #5

Chris Combs wrote:
Quote:
"D" only matters if you are using on-camera TTL flash. (or D-TTL, or iTTL, or what have you.)
So, since I'm likely to use this lens with flash, and the D70 has iTTL, then the "D" matters.

Cheers,

Eric
erichlund is offline   Reply With Quote