Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 4, 2004, 6:29 AM   #1

Here are some pictures using my D70 and the sigma 70-200 f2.8 hsm & 1.4 converter. Ive only had the camera about 3 months or so. I really like the converter for this lens. Im still learning this camera and settings plus the lens. If you want to see some of my photos you can look here , they are Youth Football ages 5-13.

http://www.shutterfly.com/progal/gal...98ce7c2b13fd19

just some examples if anyone wants to see

here are some WVU football shots not with the converter, down on the sidelines

http://www.shutterfly.com/progal/alb...98cf50985d804d

6097 is pretty neat, i printed it 20x30 and its real photo paper and looks great!

This was my first time down on the side lines at a college game , i was so nervous!

but it was a great !

I can tell a big difference with the sigma lens and an the first lens I baught, which was a promaster 70-300. I hadnt been using the promaster for a long time and decided to try it to get more zoom (before i baught the 1.4 lens) yeah it was very slow compared to the sigma lens, wow you really dont notice it till you try to go back. the other is still a great lens, but for sports and action ill stick with my sigma. I quickly switched back that game. lol and ordered the converter. Thinking about getting the 2x converter later on when softball and baseball start.

wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2004, 11:17 PM   #2

Thanks for the samples. It's deffinitely going to bemy next acquisition. Your pics just reaffirmed it for me.
bigconig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 11:24 AM   #3

when refering to a convertor are you talking 1.4 x extension ? doesnt that drop the speed of your lens ? i am just curious . i am trying to choose a camera, lens ,etc to shoot my kids sports and was leaning towards the d 70 ,but wanted to here how well it does , what lens are best etc... thanks bill b
zwdb08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 8:45 AM   #4
NHL

zwdb08 wrote:
Quote:
when refering to a convertor are you talking 1.4 x extension ? doesnt that drop the speed of your lens ? i am just curious . i am trying to choose a camera, lens ,etc to shoot my kids sports and was leaning towards the d 70 ,but wanted to here how well it does , what lens are best etc... thanks bill b
The device is called a teleconverter because it multiplies the focal lenght of the lens by 1.4 time - and yes the maximum f/2.8 aperture is reduced by 1 stop to f/4. In a film/full-frame camera the most obvious degradation is the darkening of corners when wide opened, but because most consumer dSLRs have a smaller 1.5x sensor theses areas would just get cropped out from the FOV...

The Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 is a very good lens, notice where this lens is rated in relation to similar Nikon's: http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelef

Elsewhere in this forum there's also mention of the Sigma 100-300 f/4 - There's just nothing else better if you consider using an 1.4x TC most of the time on the 70-200: http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelel
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 3:03 PM   #5

Hey do you use the convertor for taking indoor sports shots ? If so do you use a flash? I also was wondering whatshutter should the camera be set at when using a flash .i remember my 35mm days and my minolta wouldbe set at 60 on shutter for flash pictures. Does the aperture setting matter when using flash.I want to shoot wrestling and basketball indoors and football and softball outdoors so i would need to get a lens with a 2.8 aperature to allow me to get away from using a flash? Is the d 70 at iso 1600 going to work well for this ? will i get fairly good prints? Or would a 20d be alot better ? I wonder if the 2 m more on the 20d will produce better 11x14 prints? anyhow thanks i will check out sigma....Bill Butcher
Old Feb 5, 2005, 9:33 AM   #6
NHL

IMO a 70-200 is plenty for indoor sport, 300 might be too long (I have a 120-300 f/2.8 too) :idea:

You have two things going against you here, lighting and DOF:

Lighting - You can snap a picture, but to get a 'good' image you really need the lighting, plus photography is all about the masteringof light!

DOF - at f/2.8 the Depht Of Field is really quite narrow especially at the tele postion. If it's a team sport then you really want the sharpness of several players and not an out-of-focus effect of a portrait

Shutter speed is not critical with flash since the flash pulse is much faster and would freeze the action all by itself - aperture is; However,don't exceed the X-sync speed or your flash range would be reduced accordingly! The aperture (and so is the shutter) allows you to control the background lighting. For example smaller aperture will dark out the background while larger aperture will fill the image with ambient light, but there's a catch: with enough fill the slower shutter speed will be blurred by the movements of the subject, and not evenVR/IS can help you here :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 10:02 AM   #7

hey i went to a wrestling match , and tried an external flash . All i can say is awsome . What a difference. I shot with my Olympus 750 ultra zoom, Tiff, iso 400, shutter speed 250, shutter full open ,and had soem excellant pictures ,way better than any else i have shot so far ,It was all in the flash...I am impressed that i could get these type of pictures with the uz... Only drawback was the extremily slow time it took to load the buffer and transfer to the card and be ready for the next shot . Made it hard to capture the action . I did meet a gut there that was shooting with a 35mm canon rebel 70-300 mm 3.5-5.6 tamron zoom lens with a flash iso 800 . He showed me pictures and they were grainy like mine normally were .I dont know why except maybe to high iso film... i am still learning all this but darn is it fun..I did notice that when i was really close to the subject the flash would wash it out ....that was the only bad thing on the whole night. Had a blast if my camera were quicker i would even be able to get better action, but man the pictures were awsome. So if i went with a dslr or 35mm what results would i or should i expect from a 80-200 or 80-300 3.5 -5.6 zoom with a flash? would it be exceptable ? or do i need to spend the way more cash and risk of divorce to get a 2.8 lens ? Man thanks so much for the advice on the flash it made for a big step forward... awsome... i cant wait tell the next match... even though the gym was well lite the flash made the difference... Thanks Bill B
Attached Images

Old Feb 7, 2005, 10:06 AM   #8

SOME more pics with my 750 uz tiiff, iso 400, 250 shutter , wide open apertaure, external flash
Attached Images

Old Feb 7, 2005, 10:07 AM   #9

some more pics
Attached Images

Old Feb 7, 2005, 10:08 AM   #10

ultra zoom 750, more pics from
Attached Images