Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Nov 24, 2004, 4:50 PM   #1

I ordered A used 85mm f1.8 "D" to try to maybe improve My outdoor Portraits. The 24/120 "VR" does a very good job if the back ground is wanted, but it does not blurr out the background enough to get rid of some really ugly stuff. I go to peoples Homes and offices and use outdoors a lot and don't always have a usable back ground to complement My subjects. I usualy set My 24/120 to about 85mm most of the time anyway for portraits but at f4 to f5.6 it does not give any blurr to the back ground so I'm hopeing that the f1.8 apertute will give Me the Blurr that I need. Anybody have any input? I bought it anyway so I will give A report in a couple of weeks on if it works for Me. The price was right so I'm not going to be out anything if it does not blurr the back ground as much as I want it to. I should have it Monday or Tuesday from E-Bay.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2004, 7:47 PM   #2

Youre talking about more Blur to your background ....I take it that you need to have the background more out of focus. Maybe if you are shooting daytime exteriors with the 85mm you may want to consider buying a Neutral Density Filter ...like an ND6 which will let you open up 2 more stops without changing the color or contrast at all. This will help in throwing the backgound out of focus more.
Tobias1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 9:20 PM   #3

The control over depth of field with fast primes are fantastic IMHO. Here's a fewcandid portraitsI shot with the 85mm f/1.4 (slightly faster, three times the cost of the f/1.8). http://www.pixspot.com/thumbnails.php?album=15

I love the extra dimension of compositional aidit provides - no longer do you have to worry about framing your shots and making sure nothing gets in the frame to detract from your subject, you could simple dial up a wide aperture and throw whatever's crowding infront of or around your subject(s) out of focus with ease. As an example: http://www.pixspot.com/displayimage....m=15&pos=4
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 2:54 AM   #4

I'm with Onyx completely. I don't have experience of this lens but 10 years with the 80/200 F2.8 gives more or less the same results. I use aperture priority, leave the lens at F2.8, and snap away. Fantastic for candid portraits. I can imagine that the 85mm with F1.4 must be about the best portrait lens money can buy and even sharper being a prime. I am sure you will be more than happy with the results. Happy snapping!
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 5:39 PM   #5

I recieved My 85mm 1.8 "D" lens today and I am ECSTATIC. It does exactly what I needed it to do. I can now just blurr out the background and still have a perfect crisp subject. Just in time for "CHRISTMAS" photo's.
Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote