Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 1, 2004, 10:27 AM   #1

Ok say i buy a 50-200 mm f2.8 lens and then add a 1.4x teleconverter (instead of buying a 400mm f2.8 ),would i suffer any side effects? price is an issue for me so im just trying to get an idea of what will work and what wont.
Maybe this is totally wrong :? , but if i did get the teleconverter (at the long end full zoom, i wouldnt be able to use f2.8?)

thanks alot everyone
JoeB_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2004, 11:19 AM   #2
Administrator

You may want to ask this question in the Canon or Nikon lens forums. If I'm not mistaken, you'll lose one stop with a 1.4x teleconverter installed on most lenses (i.e., shutter speeds required will be like shooting at f/4.0 versus f/2.8 if you are shooting wide open).

There could also be more downsides, depending on which lens and teleconverter you're talking about (vignetting, flare, CA, etc.). Although, I'd expect a quality 1.4x to provide minimal problems (these seem to be quite popular).

Is there a particular camera/lens you're lookingat? I'm not familiar with anyone that makes a 50-200mm f/2.8 (although,theremay be some that I'm not aware of).

If so, I can move this post down to the appropriate lens forum (we have one for Canon and Nikon of these are the brands you're looking at). Then, you may get responses from users that have experience with the lens/teleconverter combination you're looking at.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 11:29 AM   #3

yeah thanks jim! im looking at a canon or nikon so it would be helpful in there. (the lens mentioned is a sigma) sorry if i posted the details wrong ( i was just trying to give an idea of what i was asking about)
Old Dec 1, 2004, 11:32 AM   #4

sorry, this was the lens i was talking about:
Sigma makes a 70-200 f2.8 lens that gets great reviews
Old Dec 1, 2004, 11:40 AM   #5
Administrator

No problem.. I'll move this thread down to the Canon Lenses Forum.

The Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 with the 1.4x Teleconverter seems to be a popular choice for use with both Nikon and Canon DSLR models.

So, users there may be able to give you some insight on this choice.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 11:42 AM   #6

Yeah, this was one reccomended by users on dpreview.com. Havent decided on the cam yet, i need the camera for may time. But i would like to buy a few months before to get plenty of practice using it! so just researching all possible options atm.

Old Dec 29, 2004, 11:10 AM   #7

I am sorry but could you move this to the nikon forum i have decided to get the d70, so will be looking for lenses for this camera. thanks steve