Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 2, 2004, 8:56 AM   #1

Hello,

I am going to purchase a D70 for my wife for Christmas, and I am unsure what lens to get with it. I'd like to get her two lenses.

She does a TON of outdoor nature photographs, which includes photographs of moving animals (birds, small mammals..etc) with her Coolpix 5700. I'm thinking she will need a fast lens, so I had heard that a 70-300MM with a 2x extender might be a good idea.

With that said, I really have no clue about lenses. Is there a website or a thread that explains SLR lenses and compares various brands (i.e. Nikkor, Sigma..etc)?

Thanks in advance!

Scott
sdgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2004, 11:11 AM   #2

I suggest you get the D70 with the kit lens (18-70mm) that is an excellent lens.

Then i would pick a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 HSM ($700)+ the teleconverter.
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 1:27 PM   #3

Hello Morris,

From what I've been told, the 18-70 Nikon is a good lens, however, I'd need to be very close to the animals to get a good picture. A friend working for Nikon suggested the Sigma 70-200 HSM and a 2x telecoverter.

I was thinking of just ordering the D70 body along with the 70-200 HSM instead of the 18-70.

BTW - what model teleconverter do you recommend?

-Scott
sdgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 3:08 PM   #4

No, get the 18-70 in addition - it's a great lens for the price, and once she gets hooked on the camera, I imagine she'll want to use it for more than wildlife. Plus, the 70-200mm is a heavy lens for one new to SLRs; the 18-70 could let y'all get used to the camera first.

You might want to get a monopod, as well.
Chris Combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 4:30 PM   #5

Maybe i was not clear enough. You buy the D70 with the kit lens for everyday shooting and you add the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 HSM + teleconverter to shoot the tiger and stay alive.

The D70 with those 2 lens would give you a range of 27-300mm (in 35mm equivalent)which is already more than the zoom range of the Nikon 5700 (35-280mm)

For the teleconverter, i would buy the Sigma 1.4x. The 2.0x is very big and slow the lens to F5.6 instead of F4.0 for the 1.4x. You can also wait before buying the teleconverter and see if she will need the extra reach.

I amsure your wife will give you a big kiss with a gift like that.

Also the good thing with a DSLR is that it is a good source of future gift idea (Flash, more memory, monopod, tripod,lens filter, remote control,etc.).

Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 1:03 AM   #6

Personally, I think I'd do the Sigma(??) 500mm and a 2x teleconverter for a Tiger. And when I show the picture, the tiger would be that little tiny dot.:-)

Cheers,

Eric
erichlund is offline   Reply With Quote