Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 3, 2004, 2:19 PM   #1

I just(today) purchased an S1 from E Bay with Nikon 35-80mm zoom lens. Reading reviews on this lens would lead me to believe I need a more substantial lens. Because this camera is compatible in AE mode only with AF-D lenses, and I am a novice photog, what better lenses could be recommended?
lions201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2004, 8:55 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the forums.

You made this post in the Fujifilm forum (which is for the non-DSLR Fuji models). We also have a Fujifilm Digital SLR Camera Forum.

But, you'd probably have a better chance of getting useful responses if you asked about lenses in Nikon Lenses Forum.

So, I'll move this post there now.

BTW, from what I can determine by looking at the lens compability charts, you are not limited to AF-D lenses. The camera's autoexposure should work fine with non-D type lenses, too. You will have a slight difference in metering choices. For example, 3D 6 zone metering and Center Weighted Metering is available with AF-D, AF-S, and AF-I lenses; with 6 zone (versus 3D 6 Zone) and Center Weighted Metering available with other Nikkor AF lenses.

3rd party (non-Nikon) lenses may not work properly (so, if you go non-Nikkor, it would be best to consult someone who has tried a lens on this model).

You may want to give users an idea of what you want to use the camera for, and in what conditions you'll be shooting.

Also, keep in mind that because the sensor in this model is smaller than 35mm film, the entire image circle projected by the lens is not used. So, you have what we call a "Crop Factor". With the S1 Pro, you need to multiply the actual focal length of the lens by 1.5 to get the 35mm equivalent focal length from an angle of view perspective.

For example, the 35-80mm lens on the S1 Pro would have a 35mm equivalent focal range of 52.5 - 120mm. So, you would not be covered very well on the wide end of the focal range.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 9:19 PM   #3

JimC.....thank you for the direction...lions201
Old Dec 3, 2004, 9:25 PM   #4

Jim C.....now that I have read your entire post, I need a "primer" on lenses. In fact, I really need something that will cover operation of digital slrs, etc. Treat me as a novice, and suggest something that I might read that would cover the whole spectrum, please.......lions201
Old Dec 4, 2004, 12:36 AM   #5
Administrator

lions201 wrote:
Quote:
Jim C.....now that I have read your entire post, I need a "primer" on lenses. In fact, I really need something that will cover operation of digital slrs, etc. Treat me as a novice, and suggest something that I might read that would cover the whole spectrum, please.......lions201

Well, here is a web site that I've see forum member mikefellh send users to in the past. I haven't read the articles, but it appears to have a lot of good information online to get you started understanding digital photography.

http://209.196.177.41/

You may also want to visit your local library and get a book on basic photography. It doesn't need to be for digital cameras (asthe things you learn about lighting,exposure, etc., willapply to both film and digital camera models).

As for lens choices, I'd let forummembers know how you plan on using a camera and in what conditons (and give them an idea of your budget).

There can be a huge difference in quality between lenses. Lens brightness (largest apertures available at different focal lengths) is also very important, depending on the conditions you'll use it in, and your intended use for the photos. You'll need to weigh needed focal lengths, lens brightness, lens quality, size, weight and cost to decide what is needed (within budget contraints).

But, you don't have to have everything all at once either. If you're just starting out, you may even want to use the lens that came with it for a while first. Then, you'll have a better idea of it's limitations, and a better idea of what you really need.

That way, you're not spending a lot of money before knowing if what you're buying is suitable for the way you'll use a camera.

All too often, users spend a lot of money on lenses that they end up replacing because they didn't buy lenses that met their needs well.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 7:49 AM   #6

Jim C....again, thank you for your assistance...at 62, I'm relearning everything that I use to know. Currently have been using Minolta Dimage Z1.......repaired twice by Konica Minolta because the camera is cheap plastic and breaks at the drop of a hat; however, the pictures are acceptable, but I wanted something better, thus the S1.

Many thanks for the educational suggestions ....if I may, I would like to discuss color printers....currently using cheapy Cannon i475D bubble jet, but again very acceptable prints, max. 8X10, and literally eats ink cartridges. I understand that the S1 would allow me to print larger format. Do you have suggestion...last night I was scrolling through printers and saw a color dye sublimation printer that sounded interesting, but nothing with a format larger than 8X10.

While retired, I build one house a year and need a serious hobby because I have too much time on my hands. I hope that photography is the answer.........just some background to let you know where the motivation is dervived!

Old Dec 4, 2004, 11:39 AM   #7
Administrator

lions201 wrote:
Quote:
if I may, I would like to discuss color printers....currently using cheapy Cannon i475D bubble jet, but again very acceptable prints, max. 8X10, and literally eats ink cartridges.
Well, the cartridges used in your printer are much smaller than the cartridges available in some other Canon models. So, the cost per printis higher.

Now, use of third party inks is controversial (some users claim it can clog the heads, etc.). Personally, I don't buy into that theory with some of the better quality generics. Nozzles can clog using factory ink, too if you let a printer sit too long without using it. Generic Inks can save you a lot of money in print costs.

Inks from MIS Associates are quite popular. If you don't want to mess with refilling cartridges yourself, you can also get Generic Cartridges in new condition from them.

If you scroll down this page to the last two entries under the Canon Printers, you'll see the BCI-24 Black and Color Cartridges (your printer is not listed, but it uses the BCI-24 ink cartridges as the S200/S300 models shown).

These are $5.00 each there. You're not really saving much on the black with your printer, but you're buying the color for around 1/3 the cost of Genuine Canon Cartridges:

http://www.inksupply.com/index.cfm?s.../cartsale.html

There are other suppliers of similar cartridges that are even less expensive (i.e., under $3.00). But, users that have tried different brands seem to be happy with MIS.

Quote:
I understand that the S1 would allow me to print larger format. Do you have suggestion...last night I was scrolling through printers and saw a color dye sublimation printer that sounded interesting, but nothing with a format larger than 8X10.
Well, I'd look into the large format Canon printers (13x19" prints available). Note that these have larger ink cartridges than your model, so the cost per page is lower. They also have separate tanks for each color (with more colors), versus having a single tiny cartridge for 3 colors. They also produce higher quality prints thanks to more available ink colors. They're also much faster than competing models.

Generic Ink is also available for these. Steve hasreviews of popular printers here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/printers.html#reviews

The Canon i9900 is a popular model that you'll find a review of here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...non_i9900.html

You may want to ask this same question in the printer forums to get user opinons of available choices.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 12:11 PM   #8
Administrator

lions201 wrote:
Quote:
Currently have been using Minolta Dimage Z1.......repaired twice by Konica Minolta because the camera is cheap plastic and breaks at the drop of a hat; however, the pictures are acceptable, but I wanted something better, thus the S1.
Well -- keep in mind that you won't be able to get the focal range you had in your Z1 without multiple lenses. Also, brighter lenses (i.e., larger available apertures, represented by smaller f/stop numbers) will be larger, heavier and more expensive.

So, I'd probably avoid the urge to go out and buy the first lens you see with a large focal range (wide to tele). These are generally not the highest opticalquality compared to lenses with less range in one lens, are usually not very bright (requiring slower shutter speeds to get proper exposure for any given lighting condition and ISO speed setting).

I'd figure out what conditions you'll be using the camera in more often (for example: lighting conditions, focal lengths needed, focus speeds needed), and what your existing lens is missing (for example, a wider field of view).

Nikon makes a variety of lenses that would work with your S1 Pro. You may decide that a lens starting out wider than what you have now would make a much better "walk around" lens for General Purpose use. That's one of the reasons that many buyers of the Nikon D70 start out with the kit lens (18-70mmf/3.5-4.5). It goes a bit wider than most, and would give you a 35mm equivalent focal range of approximately 27-105mm on your S1 Pro. It's also a fast focusing lens (AF-S type with a built in focus motor). But, for low light use, it's not going to be as bright as some of the other choices (but you may not need anything brighter, and brighter zoom lenses are larger, heavier and more expensive).

That's why I'd probably use the lens thats coming with your camera for a little while first, until you can get a better feel for what you really need (so that you don't end up buyinglenses, then replacingthem withothers later if they don't perform well enough in the condtions you'll use a camera in more often).
Old Dec 5, 2004, 7:47 AM   #9

Thank you for the "lens" response...everything you explain is very helpful. I have gone to the educational sight yousuggested...it is exactly what I needed for a refresher...thanks again....I'm starting to sound repetitive!

Curious as to your background with such a vast knowledge........professional or otherwise? Also, what do you use for everyday shooting and do you have photog examples you could send?

By the way, my name is Rollie!
Old Dec 5, 2004, 10:16 AM   #10
Administrator

lions201 wrote:
Quote:
Thank you for the "lens" response...everything you explain is very helpful. I have gone to the educational sight yousuggested...it is exactly what I needed for a refresher...thanks again....I'm starting to sound repetitive!

Curious as to your background with such a vast knowledge........professional or otherwise? Also, what do you use for everyday shooting and do you have photog examples you could send?

By the way, my name is Rollie!
Hey Rollie. I'm glad to meet you. Hopefully, you'll find a lot of good information on the forums here.

Trust me, I don't know anywhere near as much as some of the other forum members. I had some health problems over the last few years, so hanging around the forums has helped to keep me occupied. As a result, I try to keep up with what's going on in the industry.

I've owned7 Digital Cameras over the past 5 years. So, I've had some experience with them, and understand the pros and cons of different types.I've also tried to use other models when I can talk friends into letting me borrow theirs.

I also still shoot 35mm from time to time (blasphemy, huh?!, since this is a Digital Camera Forum).:-)

I've sold most of my filmgear and anymore I use a simple pocket model (Konica KD-510z) for most of my photos, since it's so easy to carry around in a pocket (although I still have an older Nikon Coolpix model I use for macros). I also usea 35mm Nikon when I can pry it away from my wife. ;-) Although,my favorite lens has just developed a grinding noise, and I think I'm going to need to replace it. In fact, I used 35mm negative film for a friend's wedding recently.

My first camera was an old Canon Rangefinder that my father bought in Japan at the end of WWII, that he gave to me when I was quite young. I used it quite a bit as a youngster, and I've still got it in a closet somewhere. I've owned a variety of film cameras over the years, so I've came to understand a little about photography (but not as much as you'll find from many other forum members here, who've got a lot more experience than I do).

Believe me, I'm no photographer.I'm more of a snapshot shooter, and my skills are not what you'll see from many others on the forums here. It's only ahobby, and I don't shoot as much as I used to anymore.

I've got an IT/Telecom (not a Photography)background. ;-)