Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 13, 2004, 7:38 PM   #11

Hi Cameranserai,

Wow, you brought up some very good points. I did not realize the difference between the 18-70 and the 24-120 was not substantial as far as zoom and wide angle. It makes sense and I appreciate you making me aware. I am going to consider the 70-200. So when you take pictures of couples at the wedding, it is a problem? How about a group of people (the wide angle is not as wide)? See chances are I would not do biggroups, I do mostly action, like the bride an groom dancing, cutting the cake, couples, some tables of people. It is just another gift for the bride and groom. I don't stress b/c I know the professional is there. But, suprising enough they like my pictures just as much. I will have both the 18-70 for travel and the 70-200 when needed. And of course the 2.8 isa plus. Thank you for the information. It has just cleared things up for me.

Regards,

Nadia
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 3:23 AM   #12

Ah, now you're talking. I have, like you, done the "fly on the wall" marriages, where the professional takes the strain and I snap away merrily behind the scenes, and that can be fun, much more so than doing the family portraits where the mother in law looks more like a hippopotamus and a W-I-D-E angle lens is really necessary! I got out the 80/200 today and the 70/200 VRIFED and if funds are limited (whose aren't?) go for the 80/200 second hand. I would prefer this lens to the Sigma new 70/200 HPO on build quality and longevity, that's all, nothing against the Sigma lens itself which has excellent reports.

The kit lens will serve admirably for the group portraits, as in fact would the 24/120, but I didn't want you to end up with two lenses which essentially duplicated each other. To appreciate the difference look at markings on the the barrel of the kit lens, leave it on wide angle and lookthrough the viewfinder, and then move the zoom up to 24 and see the difference. Once you have had wide angle you miss it when it isn't there. Similarly move it out to the maximum of 70mmand that is where the 70/200 would take over. Easy isn't it!

For those candid portraits the 80/200 or the newer 70/200 will be marvellous, because when it comes to portraiture there is nothing to match big glass. To get that "person in sharp focus and background blurred" effect, called bokeh in professional parlance, you need at least an F2.8 lens.

Glad I have been instrumental in putting you on the straight and narrow so to speak, and happy snapping.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 9:55 PM   #13

Hi Cameranserai,

Okay now it makes even more sense. I followed your instructions and yes it would be a waste to get the 70-120 VR since my lens kit already goes to 70mm. The only advantage is the compact size of the lens. I will deal with it. With the 70-200, 2.8, VR. I will get more benefit from the zoom and f/2.8 as compared to 3.5-5.6.

As you know, I haveuntil 12/31 to order and get the$150 rebate on the 70-200. So, I have to move on this. I went to Ritz today and it was crazy with all the Christmas shoppers, I had to leave. I saw some pictures on the internetfrom the 70-200 and they were very sharp. I will let you know if and when I get my lens. Thank you for your patience and education on this subject.

Regards,

Nadia
Old Dec 27, 2004, 2:23 AM   #14

I saw your recommendation for the 80/200 F2.8 and was wondering if you could provide me with more specific information ( make / model). This sounds like the lens I'm looking for.

Thanks
Ibcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 9:21 PM   #15

Hi Ibcoffey,

I received my lens two days ago. It is a 70-200, 2.8, VR, Nikon. If you order before 12/31 you will get $150 off. The cost was$1,599 without the discount. I have to mail the application to Nikon.It is heavy, however I will over come that. Very easy to use. I took some shoots in doors and was blown away with the sharpness. I can't wait to try it outside and at my nephew's basket ball games. The 2.8 allows more flexibility with light. The VR is also great since it allows for some shake without a blurred picture, you don't need a tripod. I ordered through B&H since they have the best reviews and great pricing. Be careful, there were some vendors offering a lower price but had poor reviews for customer satisfaction. Surf the interweb and you will find some very good reviews on this lens.

Regards,

Nadia
Attached Images

Old Dec 28, 2004, 2:09 PM   #16

I am so pleased for you. I am on my way to Capetown tomorrow with the D70, 18/70 and the 70/200 and then on to Phoenix after. I know I'll get some good shots and I am sure you will really enjoy using this lens. It is superb. Bravo!
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:15 AM   #17

Dear Cameranserai,

Thank you for all your help. I am very happy with the decision I made. I can't wait to put the lens to use. Enjoy your travels and please share your pictures with the forumwhen you return.

Regards,

Nadia
Old Jan 1, 2005, 12:53 PM   #18

A good thread this with some interesting comments on the choice of lenses.

Nadia - the VR lens that you have sure looks good.

Ibcoffey - here's a couple of links that I've found that might be of interest to you -

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikkor.htm#digital

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikkor.htm#af
stixbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 7:42 PM   #19

Hi Stixbri,

I am happy with the sharpness. I took some pictures outside and they were very bright and sharp. I guess that f/2.8 does make a difference. The lens is heavy for me, soVR is good from my shaking with holding the lens.:lol: It was a big investment but worth it.

Happy New Year to all,

Nadia