Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 5, 2004, 4:03 PM   #1

Hi Forum,

I investigated all I can:?, now I am stuck between the AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF and the Nikon AF zoom-Nikkor 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED. I am not a professional, just a hobby.However, I take pictures at weddings and often give to pics to the Bride and Groom. Also, family photos. I have the 18-70, however I wanted more zoom. I read bad and good reviews on the 24-120mm VR, however I also read that VR is the way to go even though the 28-200mm is a good lens (It does not have AF-S). I don't want a big gun like the 70-200 VR, F 2.8. Too expensive and heavy. I am exhausted of researching:yawn:. Any thoughts.

Regards,

Nadia
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2004, 8:36 PM   #2

I am not a pro and Iown the 28-200. AndI just bought a 24-120 VR (used) that I haven't received yet (on its way to me now). I really like the 28-200 - it is surprisingly competent for macro shots too (not 1:1). It's lightweight, long range, affordable and it focuses reasonably fast (not as fast as AF-S). IMO, it's worthall of its$300 price (new). I used it at a wedding recently with my SB-800 and I was very pleased with the results. Many believe it is an excellent walk-around lens and I tend to agree. It's not as bright as an f/1.8 or 2.8 for low light, but works well nonetheless. When I receive the 24-120 VR, I'll post my experience comparing the two.
tksuther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 9:32 PM   #3

Nadia -either will serve you fine. The decision basically comes down to how much you're prepared to pay.

If you're used to the fast and silent focusing from 18-70 kit lens, I'd suggest going for the 24-120VR as you might find the non AF-S focusing of the 28-200G, being slower and more audible, to be "intrusive" (not that I believe it's the case - but others EXTREMELY fussy have noted).
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 9:45 PM   #4

tksuther wrote:
Quote:
I am not a pro and Iown the 28-200. AndI just bought a 24-120 VR (used) that I haven't received yet (on its way to me now). I really like the 28-200 - it is surprisingly competent for macro shots too (not 1:1). It's lightweight, long range, affordable and it focuses reasonably fast (not as fast as AF-S). IMO, it's worthall of its$300 price (new). I used it at a wedding recently with my SB-800 and I was very pleased with the results. Many believe it is an excellent walk-around lens and I tend to agree. It's not as bright as an f/1.8 or 2.8 for low light, but works well nonetheless. When I receive the 24-120 VR, I'll post my experience comparing the two.
Thank you very much, I had the feeling that I would not make too big of a mistake with either one, I am leaning towards the 24-120 VR. Maybe by then you will have tried it out. :-D

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Nadia
Old Dec 5, 2004, 9:47 PM   #5

Hi Onyx,

Thanks for your response. I feel better now about the choices. I think I am going for the 24-120 VR.

Nadia

Old Dec 7, 2004, 11:29 AM   #6

I assume you are planning to use a flash at the weddings? If not, then you may want to consider an f/2.8 lens.
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:29 PM   #7

Hi Convergent,

I looked at the 2.8, it is a big lens. I will be using a SB 800. I hope I will be okay.

Thanks for your help.

Nadia
Old Dec 12, 2004, 3:09 AM   #8

If you already have the kit lens, which is really 27/105, how about getting a used 80/200 F2.8? I've used one for weddings for years and for capturing good portraits it has been perfect, providing great definition and superb "bokeh" where the person is in focus but the background all blurred.

Just a thought.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 8:38 AM   #9

Hi Cameranserai,

Thank you for your help. I did look at this lens, but I have to admit I was scared off from the size of the lens and my ability to handle the camera. I read the articles on it and it is a great lens. MaybeI should go to a camera shop and have them put the lens on a camera for me to try out. It would be nice to get both the 24-120 VR and the 80-200. I am dreaming. Take care.

Nadia:-)
Old Dec 13, 2004, 5:07 AM   #10

Hey, it is only a lens! Just put your left hand under the barrel, leave the camera on aperture priority, use a wide aperture, let it self focus, and - bingo - superb portraits! I've had mine since the stone age and it still is a fabulous lens. The 24/120 is easier to carry, granted, but it essentially 50% replaces the kit lens, which goes up to 105mm in old terms anyway. set your lens at maximum zoom, and then imagine about 50% more zoom facility and that is what the 24/120 will give you. I have one and on the film camera it was my everyday lens, but now it restricts me to 36mm at the short end I don't use it much, I keep the 18/70 on when travelling.

My point is that after many years of photography and doing countless weddings, you are going to need that extra zoom length to get good candid portraits, being far enough away so that they don't see you there and instantly "pose". It is a great idea to go to the shop and try it out, and then look on Ebay and find what you want - there are loads out there for sale now the 70/200 VRIFED has come out.

I wish you luck
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote