Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 5, 2004, 6:40 PM   #1

I have a friend who is a good photographer and she has an older Nikon SLR. She got quite interested in digital, after examining my Minolta 7i at a social gathering, and took a couple of pictures to get the feel of the camera. She mentioned she had a Nikon, and nice lenses and would hate to see it all go to waste if she pursued digital. I mention the D70. Big question, how far back does compatability go with the Nikon SLR lenses? If this has been answered before, can you direct me to the post? Thanks, best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2004, 8:27 PM   #2

Kenneth, I can offer a pre-emptive "yes" to your question. Compatibility stretches back to 1959 (ie. EVERYTHING Nikon has ever made under the Nikon, Nikkor and Nippon Kogaru brand names). This is one of the primary reason I chose Nikon over the other brands - lens compatibility.

However, for a more precise answer:

There are two metering systems on the D70 that's pertinent to lens compatibility, the exposure meter and the flash meter.

All auto focus lenses will work and retain full exposure metering functionality onthe D70. They may not have full flash functionality.

D and G type lenses (newer type with CPU contacts) will retain full exposure and flash metering, as they relay focus distance info to the camera body, and in turn the flash. The iTTL flash systemof the D70 is partly dependent on this focus distance information.

Manual focus lenses will physically fit on the camera and allow you to take the picture, but only in manual mode and without exposure or flash metering (ie. shooting "blind"), and obviously will lack auto focus too. Some people find this limited functionality unacceptable in practical use - so may tend to discount it as "not compatible".

If your friend has decent practical knowledge of photography - and knows his "sunny 16" rulesand how guide numbers and apertures relate to flash use, he could apply this knowledge to picture taking and may well enjoy digital photography and overlook the limited functionality with some of the older lenses.

But on the whole, we tend buy digital cameras full of technology so we don't have to think about anything but pushing the shutter button, isn't that the case?! :lol:

Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 12:58 AM   #3

Onyx - you are neglecting to account for non-AI lenses, which will not mount on the camera and could damage it if you try. AI (aperture indexing) was introduced in Nikon lenses in 1977, and many non-AI lenses e.g. Nikkor-Q used the Nikkor and Nippon Kogaku brand names. Non-AI lenses (previously known just as F-mount lenses) were manufactured from 1959 through at least 1977.

Here's a page with a little more information:
http://www.cameraquest.com/aidaiais.htm

Chris Combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 4:10 PM   #4

I have 2 old circa 1970 F camera lenses with the rabbit ears mount. I have been told by two different camera shops that they will not fit on any of the digital bodies???

Are they correct or are you? Thanks.
donnpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 4:42 PM   #5
NHL

FYI: http://www.bythom.com/lensacronyms.htm
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:56 PM   #6

donnpr wrote:
Quote:
I have 2 old circa 1970 F camera lenses with the rabbit ears mount. I have been told by two different camera shops that they will not fit on any of the digital bodies???

Are they correct or are you? Thanks.
You need to figure out whether they are AI or non-AI. Here's a page that may help:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...ount/lens2.htm

Keep in mind that camera merchants are not an unbiased source.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:57 PM   #7

The photo at the bottom of http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...ount/lens1.htm is also helpful.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 3:49 PM   #8

All of the info provided eclipsed the needs required! Many thanks to you all for sharing with me. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 8:26 PM   #9

Been wondering about the lense interchange myself. After reading and following the above, I guess what I have is a Nikon, AF Nikkor AI-S 35-135mm lense. I bought it for my former Nikon 2020. So, would it be fully or partially functional on a Nikon D70? Anyone have any idea what the lense would even be worth today?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Steve (BrierS)
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 12:42 PM   #10

I have used both 105 and 135 AIS MF lenses with my D70. You have to use M or full manual mode. Also the flash is in manual mode also.

Both ( f1.8 and f2) were really easy to focus with. (manually of course)

6920 is offline   Reply With Quote