Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon Lenses

Old Dec 10, 2004, 8:33 AM   #1

I have a new D70 with the 18-70mm kit lens and also a 50mm 1.8. I imagine that once in a while I'll want to do some deeper shots. I see the Sigman 70-300mm APO is a popular low cost choice for under 200.00. Is there anything else I should be looking at? A 70-200mm would also work. I'd rather not spend more than 400.00 or so.

Thanks for any tips on the most played out question ever!

Capt RB
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2004, 5:59 AM   #2

Look around at the older (2nd hand) Nikkor 75/300 too. A great lens in it's day and now very cheap on Ebay. I have had one for years and it is light and portable, but obviously not as efficient as the new lenses. Still works a treat though. I went outside, put the camera on auto, and snapped the logs against the side of the house just for fun. It focuses well, and the only problem is that it is not of the IF (Internal Focusing) type, so if you have a polariser on it the damned thing turns all the time with the distance. I don't claim any prizes for the photo (after all it is 22F outside!) but it was just to show you that this will work very well and is within your price range. Just a thought anyway
Attached Images

cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 6:43 AM   #3

This got me thinking, so out I popped again into the garden (the things I do for people) and snapped two shots at 75mm and 300mm. I am getting attached to this lens again after a 10 year gap!
Attached Images

Old Dec 14, 2004, 6:45 AM   #4

whoops! And the 75mm photo...............
Attached Images